Truck Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Has anyone looked for any new trucks lately? I have started looking and the used trucks with reasonable miles are almost the cost of a new truck. I found since a lot of suburbanites drive f150 crew cab trucks now the prices has spiked extremely high some f150's were 60k's and up most were 48k range. It seems like about a 7k increase each year. I think I may be holding on my trucks longer and just drop new motors and transmissions in and keep it moving.

My son is buying a new truck, dang fool. At least he's getting a real truck, Ram 3500 Laramie, 4x4, diesel, 4 door, with the white out package $60k out the door.
The only good thing is his 06 3500 Dmax is worth a lot to some idiots.

True Grit Farms":i2xx6gk5 said:
My son is buying a new truck, dang fool. At least he's getting a real truck, Ram 3500 Laramie, 4x4, diesel, 4 door, with the white out package $60k out the door.
The only good thing is his 06 3500 Dmax is worth a lot to some idiots.

:lol: some of my business vehicles and equip that make income for me I didn't pay 60k and tractors backhoes etc its hard for me to just drop 60k on a pick up id need to be really drunk. A vehicle is necessary evil but a bad investment IMO

I need one. I will probably turn 200k miles on mine this week. It's an 07 3/4 ton gas burner. Plane as the driven snow. Rubber mats etc. bought new in '07, for believe $24,000 (Mathematicaly, it's cost me less than 2k a year in depreciation). I'd be looking at almost double that now. Mind you that is on a plain truck. Think I'll drive it till it falls. It ain't worth much by now anyway.

Supposed to be a place near St Loius (long way from you). They have one price selling, and you can buy over the phone. Supposed to have the best deal around. Tempted to look in to it, but it's crushing to see that much $ go flying out the window.

The best dollar for dollar deal is a work truck style, single cab, single wheel, 1 ton.
No city-slicker-cowboy, or grocery-getter, wants one like that.
Only problem is no one that drives one ever wants to trade it in, so it's impossible to find a used one with less than 150k miles, let alone less than 100k.
Took me over year of (almost) non-stop hunting to find my truck, of course I'm picky...

sim.-ang.king":2431x8q0 said:
The best dollar for dollar deal is a work truck style, single cab, single wheel, 1 ton.
No city-slicker-cowboy, or grocery-getter, wants one like that.
Only problem is no one that drives one ever wants to trade it in, so it's impossible to find a used one with less than 150k miles, let alone less than 100k.
Took me over year of (almost) non-stop hunting to find my truck, of course I'm picky...

Very true... Its crazy how the work trucks are never on the lots anymore.

I feel your pain brother. Sky, as you know, I got the F-350 2004, plain, two-wheel drive, single cab, white truck. 240,000 miles.

I cannot imagine paying the price of a new one. But at 240,000 miles, going to be forced to.

http://www.trucktrader.com/ Totaled my chevy 2002 4 door 2wd Duramax out last winter when a young guy pull right out in front of me. What a lick!!!! I had bought it in 2009 and paid $14000 with 100,000 miles on it. Only had 168,000 when wrecked. Insurance paid me $14,800 which I thought was great until I started looking to replace. Couldn't find anything for less than $20,000 with less than 120,000 miles.Wound up buying a 2012 4x4 4door Chevy Duramax3500 single rear wheels with 168,000 miles. Paid $28Gs for it. It drives good and holds the road a lot better when towing than the 2500. I didn't think it would, being single rear wheels, but I sure like it.

We have a 2004 Duramax with about 120K on it. Bought it in 2009 with 50K. No plan on selling it now. It has hardly depreciated at all! Good luck in your truck search

I'm driving my wife's old 2002 RAV 4 since I bought her a new car last year. Good on gas and will haul feed and most of what I need for the farm. My F350 sits when I'm not needing a real truck.

Bad thing about the Rav is that I look like a total homo driving it! Even the guys in Prius's and Smart cars are looking at me funny.

Duramaxgirl":29plrcxl said:
We have a 2004 Duramax with about 120K on it. Bought it in 2009 with 50K. No plan on selling it now. It has hardly depreciated at all! Good luck in your truck search

I believe it seen trucks with 110k miles on the lots listed for 27k-32k

shaz":29plrcxl said:
I'm driving my wife's old 2002 RAV 4 since I bought her a new car last year. Good on gas and will haul feed and most of what I need for the farm. My F350 sits when I'm not needing a real truck.

Bad thing about the Rav is that I look like a total homo driving it! Even the guys in Prius's and Smart cars are looking at me funny.

:lol: I would drive the RAV 4 as well... for work trucks I prefer 250-350's with 7.3 in them.

skyhightree1":4enoh54o said:
Duramaxgirl":4enoh54o said:

I believe it seen trucks with 110k miles on the lots listed for 27k-32k

shaz":4enoh54o said:

:lol: I would drive the RAV 4 as well... for work trucks I prefer 250-350's with 7.3 in them.

You'd never guess I had cows!

I'm a big fan of the F150 EB but they have gotten expensive. My 3/4 Duramax was with in 2500 dollars.

I'm on track to set an all time high this year. My Duramax has 63K miles and I have 45 days to go before it turns 1 year old. I may crack 70K miles in one year. Wish I could have a truck 4 or 5 years. By the time they get comfortable and how I like them it's time for them to go.

Brute 23":aejgtunb said:
I'm a big fan of the F150 EB but they have gotten expensive. My 3/4 Duramax was with in 2500 dollars.

I'm on track to set an all time high this year. My Duramax has 63K miles and I have 45 days to go before it turns 1 year old. I may crack 70K miles in one year. Wish I could have a truck 4 or 5 years. By the time they get comfortable and how I like them it's time for them to go.

You stay on the road Brute. I'm going alot but I only put 35k a year on my truck now. Back in my younger days 50k miles a year was my average.

I will never buy another diesel keep my 02 7.3 till I die I guess. The new EPA regs on diesel have taken the advantage out of them.
It will be a gasser from now on I can buy a lot of gas for 10k and the new diesels mileage suck.
I liked to fainted last year when I bought a new Chevrolet never paid that much for a vehicle in my life.

Caustic Burno":dcfag0qd said:
I will never buy another diesel keep my 02 7.3 till I die I guess. The new EPA regs on diesel have taken the advantage out of them.
It will be a gasser from now on I can buy a lot of gas for 10k and the new diesels mileage suck.
I liked to fainted last year when I bought a new Chevrolet never paid that much for a vehicle in my life.

My 2013 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel will get better fuel mileage than your 02 Power stroke easily and run all over it. CB, don't repeat everything you hear as truth, because sometimes it's BS. I know the newer Duramax diesels won't achieve the fuel mileage of the older power strokes unless they've been deleted. And I've never tested or run the new Fords so I can't say. The EPA and fuel companies work hand in hand. And If it wasn't for the EPA the new diesel trucks would get 30+mpg.
There's no denying that diesel powered trucks hold there value by about the cost of the engine. And a diesel powered truck will achieve twice the fuel mileage towing the same load, and last 3 times as long.

Latest posts