Truck Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I was keeping my eye out for a truck last fall. I have a 96 Dodge diesel 5sp with 350k on it. I was needing something a little more road worthy to pull a trailer of cattle some distance if needed. I was looking for, say, an 07 and 08's with less a 100k on it for like around 20k. You can guess how that went. I did find those model years with 70-90k on them, but they were priced 27-29k. They were four door, 4x4, short beds usually, nice trucks with options. Too stiff for me though. I couldnt' believe how high they were. I got a call that a guy was trading his truck in. I had been told about it before, but wasn't sure I would like it. It's a 12 Dodge 6.7 reg cab 4x4 with 23,300 on it. I went to look at it to see if it had room behind the seat like I was told. It has a tray behind the seat and cab is a little deeper than the usual regular cab was like I remember. I'm short legged and can adjust the seat properly, and still have room to recline a little further. Room for extra clothes, coats, coveralls behind it. Perfect. $24k I didn't think I could afford NOT to buy it. Truck prices have gotten ridiculous.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
talltimber":xne0aq7e said:
I was keeping my out for a truck last fall. I have a 96 Dodge diesel 5sp with 350k on it. I was needing something a little more road worthy to pull a trailer of cattle some distance if needed. I was looking for, say, an 07 and 08's with less a 100k on it for like around 20k. You can guess how that went. I did find those model years with 70-90k on them, but they were priced 27-29k. They were four door, 4x4, short beds usually, nice trucks with options. Too stiff for me though. I couldnt' believe how high they were. I got a call that a guy was trading his truck in. I had been told about it before, but wasn't sure I would like it. It's a 12 Dodge 6.7 reg cab 4x4 with 23,300 on it. I went to look at it to see if it had room behind the seat like I was told. It has a tray behind the seat and cab is a little deeper than the usual regular cab was like I remember. I'm short legged and can adjust the seat properly, and still have room to recline a little further. Room for extra clothes, coats, coveralls behind it. Perfect. $24k I didn't think I could afford NOT to buy it. Truck prices have gotten ridiculous.

You might want to check on that truck. Pre-DEF 6.7s had tons of problems. There was a laundry list of recalls. Dodge had a buy back program on them. Maybe that's why it was so cheap.

NECowboy

Reaction score
skyhightree1":13bhpcl6 said:
Has anyone looked for any new trucks lately? I have started looking and the used trucks with reasonable miles are almost the cost of a new truck. I found since a lot of suburbanites drive f150 crew cab trucks now the prices has spiked extremely high some f150's were 60k's and up most were 48k range. It seems like about a 7k increase each year. I think I may be holding on my trucks longer and just drop new motors and transmissions in and keep it moving.

Yep used have way too high prices for what you can get one from the big volume dealers with big discounts on em.

Ford F350 Lariat Diesel 4x4 for 53k, King Ranch - 56k, Platinum- 57/58k, XLT for 47k after discounts

Problem is sticker is ridiculous - no reason full ton, diesel pick up should be 60-70k sticker

I'm waiting til the '17s come out to compare the new Super Duties with the current. If I don't really care about the new Super Duty and there aren't good deals on the new Super Duty then I may get a current model year F350 that some dealer is hopefully having trouble selling at that point cuz all the city slickers (or in my area show off ranchers and farmers - we have plenty of those) want the new ones! :D

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
talltimber":2u5ptedr said:
Great.
Well, I have 38+ on it now with no problems yet. There was a recall on a front end part, I think, that they've fixed.

I have a bunch of recalls on my truck. But I'm not bringing the truck in till it breaks. I think the dealership's sabotage you vehicles. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
talltimber":2lea9sne said:
Great.
Well, I have 38+ on it now with no problems yet. There was a recall on a front end part, I think, that they've fixed.

Tie rods.

My issues all started at about 70K miles. Look in to deleting it if you plan on keeping it.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Balljoints
Front wheel hubs
Front U-joint
Tie Rods (recall)
Computer update (recall)
solenoid or actuator up front for 4wd
It would have needed a clutch around 100K miles.

The big one was it started throwing a code and lost power. It was in the shop for 2 months straight while they tried to track down the issue. Attempted to give it back to me 3 times. I would drive 20-30 miles, code pop back up, turn right back around. Ended up being some thing with the regeneration stuff.

I still don't know if they ever got it fixed. The last time they gave it back to me I washed it and ran straight to the Chevrolet dealer to trade it in. Cost me over $2K for a rental truck during that time. Luckily I had the extended warranty that picked up most of the work.

saltbranch

Reaction score
In 13' I bought a new f-250, 6.2 gas,4x4, crewcab bare bones white XL. Roll up windows, manual on the floor t-case shifter, 100% vinyl, manual locks but does have tilt and cruise. I went gas because of the diesel cost and then having to delete them to get the mpg and power. Just did not make sense to me and I agree as someone said earlier, i can buy a new motor and drop in and and still come out cheaper. My monthly average and this includes to and from work, around town, around the ranch, going to the beach in 4x4 , pulling trailers on average 12k or so is right at 11 mpg give or take. My truck was 29k and change before trade in.At that time the best price on a stripped down diesel was 41k. I now have 65k on it and I really run it hard, there are days it will not be turned off for more than an hour...its hot down here. I assure the 95 mph speed limiter is something I really hate. Heaviest load I had was 18k and it was a triple axle fifth wheel and tall, the wind killed my power. I have had 15k in 2 forlifts on my GN and no problem pulling down the highway at 65-70, but I do lock out gears 5 and 6 depending on the load. But for my everyday stuff I have no regrets going gas. For me the diesel just cant be justified anymore price wise, for what I do. I came from 2 decades of running diesels and made a living off them running hotshots for over 10 years. I am not going to lie, it was hard to adjust to the different torque range and driving style as I went from a Cummins to a v-8 gasser.

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
shaz":3fe6cxf9 said:
I'm driving my wife's old 2002 RAV 4 since I bought her a new car last year. Good on gas and will haul feed and most of what I need for the farm. My F350 sits when I'm not needing a real truck.

Bad thing about the Rav is that I look like a total homo driving it! Even the guys in Prius's and Smart cars are looking at me funny.

Nothing at all wrong with that Shaz. I do a good chunk of my farm work with an old Ford Escape. I can haul 500 lb of seed taters of fertilizer in it, plus I can get it in places the truck cannot go. If it had low range and a diff lock it would be near perfect for a beat around car. I do not look as cool as the guys in their crew cab diesels when I go to the Co-op, but cool does not put any $$$ in my pocket.

shaz

Reaction score
hillbilly beef man":2zud9nus said:
shaz":2zud9nus said:
I'm driving my wife's old 2002 RAV 4 since I bought her a new car last year. Good on gas and will haul feed and most of what I need for the farm. My F350 sits when I'm not needing a real truck.

Bad thing about the Rav is that I look like a total homo driving it! Even the guys in Prius's and Smart cars are looking at me funny.

Nothing at all wrong with that Shaz. I do a good chunk of my farm work with an old Ford Escape. I can haul 500 lb of seed taters of fertilizer in it, plus I can get it in places the truck cannot go. If it had low range and a diff lock it would be near perfect for a beat around car. I do not look as cool as the guys in their crew cab diesels when I go to the Co-op, but cool does not put any $$$ in my pocket.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better but a Rav4 is gayer than an Escape. :cry:

TennesseeTuxedo

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
shaz":158zneji said:
hillbilly beef man":158zneji said:
shaz":158zneji said:

Thanks for trying to make me feel better but a Rav4 is gayer than an Escape. :cry:

Just a little.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Brute 23":38j3a2kx said:
True Grit Farms":38j3a2kx said:

Brute23 not trying to outdo you but thought someone might like to know, my 2013 cummins 2500 with 35" tires on factory rims will do 21-22mpg at 55-60mph on a "trip" (the farther you go the better the mileage gets, up to a point) BUT, tank in/tank out everyday use around home/town/farm , I average 15mpg.[/quote

And with stock tires you can add 2-3 mpg to that. The boss just got back from a trip to NY - Canada and averaged 22.7 mpg. The mountains really hurts the fuel mileage in my truck. But letting the truck sit at idle with the AC cranking hurts also, but it's worth it.

That sounds about right. My 08 Dodge was the same. I have 35x12-20s on my Duramax and its the same.

I don't see any difference in empty mpgs between my Dodge, the Duramax, or the F150 EB I rent if I need any work done. Its all about how you drive them. They all get the same.

The Toyotas don't hold up. They may have the payload of the big 3 but are not built the same. People have tried them in the oil field and they wore them out quick. Same with some ranches. They don't hold up. They do have great power and ride smooth if you stay on the highways.

None of the company trucks do never ceased to amaze me at employees that babied their trucks tear up those in the refinery. No matter the make or model by 10k they had them tore up.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that. We have a lot of "some body must of hit me in the parking lot" deals.

The guys I knew with the Toyotas were contract gaugers and consultants. They were footing the bills for their trucks.

littletom

Reaction score
I'm keeping my 7.3 and 06 dmax till they are dead and ready for fence row. Then I hope the next ones are good as them!

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
littletom":2dzsamqp said:
I'm keeping my 7.3 and 06 dmax till they are dead and ready for fence row. Then I hope the next ones are good as them!

I blew two 7.3 power strokes up at 315k and 340k miles. So far my son's 06 LBZ has only needed 5 injectors, 3 hubs, a power steering pump, and a dozen u-joints, and all new steering components, ball joints - tie rods. The truck has only a 150k miles on it. But we pull a backhoe, dozer and 18k boat quite often with it. I was happy with the Fords, not so much with the Chevrolet.

Craig Miller

Reaction score
hillbilly beef man":t1m9kjpg said:
shaz":t1m9kjpg said:

Try driving one to a drilling rig. They will call you a soccer mom.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather, dad, and 3 uncles use to drive every day to the rig in an 4 door Oldsmobile car. That's back when they didn't have trailers on location for them to stay either. It was every day several hours.

That was a different time though... they didn't have to have a sticker on the back glass to tell every one they were roughknecks. You could tell when they went to work.

They also use to check cattle as kids with an old Buick that they took most of the body pannels off. Had a little flat bed built on the back. :)

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Craig Miller":1ehztnw3 said:
hillbilly beef man":1ehztnw3 said:
shaz":1ehztnw3 said:

Try driving one to a drilling rig. They will call you a soccer mom.
Don't care what others call me, they aren't paying my bills.

Latest posts