truck problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Truck wont start. It will roll over once and then click click click click click. i tried to jump it off, didnt work. i thought it was the battery but i guess not, battery is 3. is it the starter? checked the oil and its a little low but ok. it was sounding kind of weak earlier today, should i try to jump it off again? thanks for any help.

Could still be the battery. If it has shorted cell it will suck the juice down to the point that it won't get enough juice through. Could also possibly be dirty terminals.

dun

dun":5lqhz2zi said:
Could still be the battery. If it has shorted cell it will suck the juice down to the point that it won't get enough juice through. Could also possibly be dirty terminals.

dun

Dun's are the most likely causes. Bad fuse would probably not even give you a "click". Alternator would drag it down but you should still be able to jump it off. A load tester will give you a clue on the battery.

I would say it's probably the battery. If you have no way to test it, pull another battery from something else, stick it in to see if the truck will start. Also, make sure the battery cables are connected tightly to the battery terminals.

My battery went out about a week ago, and it had similiar symptoms. This summer heat is really hard on a battery. Last weekend I blew a water pump while hauling a calf to the slaughter house. Then I took it in for transmission troubles and they told me I've lost 2nd gear. :(

It's been a bad week for the Dodge. 2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 2x4, 318, with 4 speed auto trans - 113,000 miles

Beefy":3lwyebdp said:
Truck wont start. It will roll over once and then click click click click click. i tried to jump it off, didnt work. i thought it was the battery but i guess not, battery is 3. is it the starter? checked the oil and its a little low but ok. it was sounding kind of weak earlier today, should i try to jump it off again? thanks for any help.

If it is an early 90's chevy it IS the starter. Have had to replace ours 4 times so far. That is exactly what it does. Another friend has replaced hers 3 times. Sorry guys I'm not a mechanic, :oops: but you can crawl under the passingers side with a wrench and turn "something"? and it will start so you can get it to the shop if this is the problem. Ok, so I'm of no help - I'll just be goin back under my rock now. :oops:

Sparky-TN":23mz6jhq said:
My Dodge Ram lost it's tranny at 118,000 miles. :mad: :roll: :oops:

What model/kind Dodge do you have?

They told me it would run anywhere from $1,000 - $1,500 to fix the 2nd gear that was out and any other misc things that might be broke when they went into it. I'm also thinking about having them put on a trans cooler for $175.

My 94 GMC acted exactly the same. IT turned out to be a bad connection INSIDE the starter where the battery cable connected to the starter. When I tried to take the battery cable off to replace the cables the threaded stud would move.

Replaced starter (after replacing battery, alternator, several fuses) and all is well.

Roy

I would have the battery check at the local parts store and if it test good then replace the starter. It sounds like a starter going south to me. If you cannot jump it you either have a bad connection on the starter or it is about dead.

30 years ago i owned a chevy belair ,i thought it a good idea to buy a workshop manual for.I went to the technical book shop and priced one and found that for a few dollars more i could buy an automotive encyclopedia which i did.To this day i have not paid one cent to a mechanic to repair my cars,i travel on average 30k miles a year.usually with an overloaded trailer in a 20 year old car.Workshop manuals just give you enough info to get you into trouble.If your starter or transmission comes with a built in weakness you may find an alternative has been produced aftermarket for the hotrod or drag racing crowd.Other than that i would scrap the slush box and go back to a crash box good luck :D

Beefy":1b5eosnf said:

Beefy, So what was the problem? Inquiring minds want to know, at least my inquiring mind does.

dun

Beefy":2h778zh5 said:

Probably a bad battery, maybe bad jumper cables? Has been the case before. If you think it might be the battery take the battery cable off of the post hook it directly to a battery charger and try to crank if it cranks faster your battery is bad. Somewhere to start anyways.

sorry, i thought i had replied. It was just a bad battery and maybe bad jumper cables too b/c the next day i jumped it off, easily. battery was only 3, i attribute its early demise to my cellphone charger.

Had a recent episode with a bad battery in out super duty 450 ford...one of the two on it...oddly it was not more then 6 months old... and at least one cell was bad........I had bought it last summer when I was stranded from a previously bad battery, ( we use these batteries to also run our aerators for the fish tanks) I wasn't excited that it was a Wally World brand battery ...but surprise.....not only did they replace it no hassles, but also replaced the second and gave me a anti corrosion deal to boot.......all at no charge! :)

I've quit using their batterys. I have had one good one out of maybe a half dozen, the others crapped out in less then six months. But I don't have very good success with Interstate either. But the Sears batterys seem to last forever.

dun

Latest posts