Truck Bed feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Who has one? Do they work with all feed, like a blend? Or more just for range cubes? Buckets getting old

Got an auger feeder and a trip hopper.

The trip hopper is nice because you can adjust it to dispense a certain amount of feed per trip. It has a counter in the cab, very precise. The auger feeder is just guesswork.

I have only ever ran cubes and pellets through them, not sure what else they will feed.

Who has one? Do they work with all feed, like a blend? Or more just for range cubes? Buckets getting old
I had a Bar 6 brand for a couple years. I would but ground ear corn and ddg mix in mine and it worked good. Ended up selling it because it was always in my way when it was in the truck.

We had one probably 10 years ago and sold it. It was actually easier (for me) to feed with buckets and the auger would get clogged if there was a lot of fines/powder in the cubes. Which segued into, if it wasn't completely cleaned out the next time we filled it with cubes, the residual would mold.

I've got Deweze and a Hydrafeeder now. The Deweze has twin augers and will feed about anything but isn't adjustable. It has a counter so I just filled a bucket and weighed it. Works great.
The hydrafeeder is probably 20 yrs old and does the job but will get clogged sometimes so I just feed cubes with it. It has a counter also and it's pretty accurate also. The newer hydrafeeders are a better design.
For years I had one similar to a Bar6 with scales on it. Inexpensive and never clogged or gave trouble.
Trip hoppers are made for cubes and work great, other types of feed work but not so well. I feed about 700#s a day through the 2 feeders now and never have an issue.

I never saw or heard of such a thing until I came on here. I still haven't seen one here in the PNW.
It's very interesting to see how people run cattle around the country. I hope I never have to go back to feeding without a overhead bin, feed box, and bale bed again and allot on here haven't heard on them. I also can't imagine feeding 200 days a year or turning cattle out into the hills for the summer.