Troy Built stuff

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
I was looking at a Troy Built trimmer yesterday and am asking if any of ya all have had an experience with them? It looks like you can put a pole saw atachment on it which would be useful around here also. I have a little over 3/4 mile of electric fence to keep clear of weeds and think it would make life a little easier around here.

Thanks,
f-g

I've got a 17 year old Stihl. It gets ran 4 to 6 hours a week, and has never had a wrench put on it. I've got a Troy built walk behind bush hog that is dependable. I think their new stuff is not the same quality.

Unless it has changed very recently, Troybilt is now MTD built. Troybilt used to be great stuff, but when I was working at a dealership a few years ago, the byword was "Troy shouldn't never built a dang thing" (talking about thier MTD stuff--not the older equipment) They just won't hold up to hard work, and I just won't own a Troybilt because of it. Go Stihl or Echo, but Husqvarna is good too.

The old original Troybilt wheelhorse was top of the line in it's day tho--too bad MTD bought them out and cheapened a good product.

I have a 5 yr old Stihl trimmer, but all I ever use on it is the brush blade to clean under fencelines and around my ponds. It is truly a thing of destruction. (Use the multi tooth sawblade--not the 4 tooth piece of crap--those things kick back too much) If you are going to use it much, get the full harness--that over one shoulder strap will cut you circulation off after about 1/2 hr. My B-I-L has one just like it with the pole saw on it, and he likes it.
Just make sure you lube the head every few uses and drain the fuel for the off season. Doesn't seem to bother the Stihl chainsaws much to leave gas in em for months, but trimmers are a different story. The orifices are just too small on trimmers and the fuel varnishes up and plugs the carb.

Want to know what well known brands are now MTD? A partial list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTD_Products

Thanks to all of you. g-b, thanks for all of the information. It looks like I need to keep looking!

You cannot go wrong with stihl. I used to mow thirty five yards a week and all gas powered tools were stihl.

Bigfoot":2bbrr3lu said:
I've got a 17 year old Stihl. It gets ran 4 to 6 hours a week, and has never had a wrench put on it. I've got a Troy built walk behind bush hog that is dependable. I think their new stuff is not the same quality.

I agree with bigfoot on the new stuff. I have an old, very old, Troy built tiller that to this day you can put a little gas in it and it will start on the second pull. This thing weighs close to 500 lbs and must be 40 years old - good machine.

lavacarancher":3di32jmg said:
Bigfoot":3di32jmg said:

I agree with bigfoot on the new stuff. I have an old, very old, Troy built tiller that to this day you can put a little gas in it and it will start on the second pull. This thing weighs close to 500 lbs and must be 40 years old - good machine.
I had one like that too. But when I did have to get some new parts they were pure junk.