trouble in the maternity suite

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just lost beautiful limousin heifer calf after prolonged birth.Dam is a 6 year old angus who gets extremely emotional and wicked while in labour. This year she went beserk and tried her best to attack 3 of us at the same time. Out of her head roaring with her tongue out 18 inches. We got her into the crush and discovered calf coming with both front feet down. Eventually positioned calf correctly and she spat her out. Why did it die. Cow calving for less than one hour. I have been advised to kill this cow regularly. She adopts a defence position whenever strangers appear. She is totally quiet with me. She has bred great stock to date and is a great milker. Once she cleans after calving she settles down. I should also mention that we have to take the calf from her until afterbirth is delivered or she would kill her own calf. Picks it up in her mouth and shakes it once the calf tries to stand. I hate killing her does she suffer post natal depression or what ??[/b]

I think that a cow like that is not worth too much. She has a nasty disposition when calving and poor mothering instincts. You or somebody else could get hurt around this thing. Surely you must be able to buy better cows than that. I have a few around the farm that would be hard to handle if they had difficulty calving but they are good mothers and would never do anything to harm their calf. I had a cow once that attacked me after calving. She didn't stay at my place long after that. I'd put her on a truck if I were you.

I agree with the other posts. There are too many quality cattle out there without disposition problems to mess with an animal that is temperamental for any reason.

It's not the Angus. Our angus cattle are the tamest. The older charlois and limi cross cows are the goofiest by far.

She needs to go, to the sale barn. Take the money and invest in a good cow. In todays world have you thought of the liabilties of keeping that crazy thing. #1 rule ruthless culling of the herd. This cow sounds like a cull, you can get a crazy in every breed. These genes you don;t want to keep in the pool.

Thanks for the replies/comments. Im in this business for the return and looking at my computerised farm package this cow has generated €3876 in sales for the last 4 years before subsidies (in EU) for weanling calves up to 5/6 months old. Can anyone else match this for a commercial angus with minimal maintenance costs. I personally am not that concerned with the danger as I know where I stand with her and am supposed to be smarter than her ????

NO not all angus are that way, just all the ones I've seen & yeah I've seen ALOT. I just like to here how everybody always wants to start a fight, since everybody disses to herefords.
Ellie May

cloone":15gppcww said:
Thanks for the replies/comments. Im in this business for the return and looking at my computerised farm package this cow has generated €3876 in sales for the last 4 years before subsidies (in EU) for weanling calves up to 5/6 months old. Can anyone else match this for a commercial angus with minimal maintenance costs. I personally am not that concerned with the danger as I know where I stand with her and am supposed to be smarter than her ????

Yea I know a lot of ranchers that have ended up with busted heads and broken bones because they were smarter too. You seem to forget it's easy to get hurt anytime the crazies just up the odds.

I would ship her on down the road. What are the chances of you getting a cow with a WORSE disposition if you bought a new one? Seems you can only improve your herd by selling her, not to mention add a few yrs to you and your families life from a safety standpoint!

I heard that once EM that the black cows were the mean ones...that is just not true...have some limi and simi crosses too. and angus... a crazy is a crazy thats all...it can happen anywhere. i wouldn't keep the animal..she is defeating her purpose.
donna

I heard that once EM that the black cows were the mean ones...that is just not true...have some limi and simi crosses too. and angus... a crazy is a crazy thats all...it can happen anywhere. i wouldn't keep the animal..she is defeating her purpose.
donna

Campground Cattle":ek80h05f said:
She needs to go, to the sale barn. Take the money and invest in a good cow. In todays world have you thought of the liabilties of keeping that crazy thing. #1 rule ruthless culling of the herd. This cow sounds like a cull, you can get a crazy in every breed. These genes you don;t want to keep in the pool.

C.C. is right!!! Three things gets a cow a free pass to somewhere else at our place.
1. One that's want to fight/ is aggressive
2. Big teats
3. A jumper.

Getting hurt and not being able to work ( on the farm or out in the world) will eat up any "good profit" margin real quick! Sell the hussie.

;-)

Latest posts