Trotlines

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Ok so I tried trotlines and caught a ton of snapping turtles which is fine I eat them too but not what im after. I really want to catch cats but seems all I get is turtles. What baits do you suggest to use to keep turtles away I used hotdogs soaked in vinegar to livers worms cut bait and nothing but turtles... any suggestions as to what I can do to avoid them I like turtle but I don't want to fill up my freezer with that.

M-5":hlc8v8mw said:
How deep you running them?

ponds about 4-10' deep I have multiple hooks on a line about 50' long at the end of the line is around a lb of weights. The hooks have about 12" off the main line

Take a .22 down there every day and start getting rid of the turtles. A really good pellet gun would be better, as the rest of 'em don't dive when the shot is fired like they do with a .22.
It's probably against some obscure tree hugging law tho.

M-5":1ja1q9ie said:
If your dealing with a pond I'm afraid the turtles will win out. Might have better luck with baskets

I may have to make 1
kenny thomas":1ja1q9ie said:
You need to catch the turtles if your gonna continue to have fish.

Good point.. I have around 20 in the freezer turtles that is

greybeard":1ja1q9ie said:
Take a .22 down there every day and start getting rid of the turtles. A really good pellet gun would be better, as the rest of 'em don't dive when the shot is fired like they do with a .22.
It's probably against some obscure tree hugging law tho.

Good idea but I'd rather catch them and eat them

skyhightree1":nnkru5gp said:
Ok so I tried trotlines and caught a ton of snapping turtles which is fine I eat them too but not what im after. I really want to catch cats but seems all I get is turtles. What baits do you suggest to use to keep turtles away I used hotdogs soaked in vinegar to livers worms cut bait and nothing but turtles... any suggestions as to what I can do to avoid them I like turtle but I don't want to fill up my freezer with that.

Thanks I like the idea of that

Latest posts