Trophy Bear

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
For you hunters out there:

Here's a photo of a 432# black bear shot with a compound bow on Oct. 11 by a 17 year old boy while deer hunting. The information with the photo says that he "passed up several shot opportunities in order to let the bear get broadside to his treestand and offer a clean ethical shot." He's getting the bear preserved by a taxidermist.

I hope this wasn't near our place.

http://lwpolive.thecentralvirginian.com ... w=ZW50aXR5

All I can say is anyone that fed a bear that long caused the bear to lose it's fear of humans. He or She really killed the bear.
That guy probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to the bear if he were still wild.
If you are going fed animals like that I would say: keep them out of sight, and keep your mouth shut.

Gale,

They are all around you....we have em in western Hanover in abundance. I was clearing a horseback riding trail last winter in Beaverdam and unknowingly disturbed a bear den. The sow moved her cubs but one of them was found dead two days later on the very trail I had been working on. Game warden found the den about 15 feet from where I had been working. down tree with a hollow under the stump. I recall looking at it as I worked thru.

All this was about three hudred yards from my friends house.

Hunters killed at least two that I know of in Beaverdam last fall. One was in the village of Beaverdam.

bears and skunks are the two things I fear walking up on in the barn when I feed at night. electric fence helps some with bears but nothing keeps those skunks at bay.

dalex726":7hxr82oz said:
All I can say is anyone that fed a bear that long caused the bear to lose it's fear of humans. He or She really killed the bear.
That guy probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to the bear if he were still wild.
If you are going fed animals like that I would say: keep them out of sight, and keep your mouth shut.

Huh? What makes you believe this bear was fed by humans? :?: :?: :?:

pdfangus":geghok42 said:
Gale,

They are all around you....we have em in western Hanover in abundance. I was clearing a horseback riding trail last winter in Beaverdam and unknowingly disturbed a bear den. The sow moved her cubs but one of them was found dead two days later on the very trail I had been working on. Game warden found the den about 15 feet from where I had been working. down tree with a hollow under the stump. I recall looking at it as I worked thru.

All this was about three hudred yards from my friends house.

Hunters killed at least two that I know of in Beaverdam last fall. One was in the village of Beaverdam.

bears and skunks are the two things I fear walking up on in the barn when I feed at night. electric fence helps some with bears but nothing keeps those skunks at bay.

Jim, I know they're all around; I have a horror of seeing one looking through the kitchen window! :lol: :lol:

But skunks, now I'm becoming an expert on them! I'm always finding them in my barn traps, and I'm very careful about releasing them. Don't think I've ever caught the same one twice actually; each one looks different. I put a tarp over the trap, I move very slowly, and turn him loose, keeping the tarp over the trap. Only glitch is if they don't come out right away, then I have to prop the trap open with a piece of wood or something. They usually waddle off into the woods. No, I don't shoot them.