Triticale/rye planting dilemma

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I have about 90 acres of land plowed and ready to plant a triticale/rye/wheat mixture. I've run into a bit of a dilemma here in SW OK. I'm looking at the weather forecast and there is no chance of rain in the next 10 days. It's already pretty dry and the wind is supposed to blow 30-40 MPH Monday. My question is, do I go ahead and plant or do I need to wait until I see some rain in the forecast?

Depends on your existing moisture and seedbed prep. If you think it's to dry wait a couple days for the wind to dry it out a little more then plant shallow. Or plant a little deeper now and get it pressed in.

Insurance would be to up the seeding rate a bit but that costs extra too. Back in the day, dry planting was normal for us. It would come up when the first tropical storm made a run at us but we had to stop betting on that 15 years ago.

Another thought....how accurate is your local forecasters? Weather forecasts change daily around here....seems no one actually looks out a window anymore...buy mostly think computer modeling has been made unreliable and corrupted by those wishing to support/prove climate warming/change.

Plant it. I waited to get some moisture in the soil after a dry spell. Now 24 days later I'm still waiting for it to dry out. Planting my mix next week.

1982vett said:
Depends on your existing moisture and seedbed prep. If you think it's to dry wait a couple days for the wind to dry it out a little more then plant shallow. Or plant a little deeper now and get it pressed in.

Insurance would be to up the seeding rate a bit but that costs extra too. Back in the day, dry planting was normal for us. It would come up when the first tropical storm made a run at us but we had to stop betting on that 15 years ago.

Another thought....how accurate is your local forecasters? Weather forecasts change daily around here....seems no one actually looks out a window anymore...buy mostly think computer modeling has been made unreliable and corrupted by those wishing to support/prove climate warming/change.
The weather here is pretty accurate. It's hard to be wrong when it is so dry all the time. The wind is expected to blow hard starting this afternoon. I have 20 acres or so here around the house, so I'm going to go ahead and put it in while I have the equipment here. Then I will move it 15 miles to the farm and wait for the wind to die down and get it in the ground Tuesday.

bird dog said:
Plant it. I waited to get some moisture in the soil after a dry spell. Now 24 days later I'm still waiting for it to dry out. Planting my mix next week.
Wish we had that problem. If you get about 30 miles east of here, they get rain consistently. Here on I-40 near the TX/OK state line, we seem to miss almost everything.

I didn't see this thread when I just posted about my own very similar dilemma. What did you end up doing AZAggie?

Latest posts