Triple 16 application

Help Support CattleToday:

highvoltagecattleco

Reaction score
Well I went in the poor house today. I bought some triple 16 for hay ground. The suggested application is 200 lbs to the acre. I am thinking about reducing to 150 lbs to the acre. We only get one cutting here. Anybody have some thoughts on this? Like all of you I'm trying to reduce costs, yet keep some yield. :roll:

i dont blame you for cutting back to 150lbs.just be careful you dont bust the chain cutting back to 150lbs.

highvoltagecattleco":3b4bs4am said:
Well I went in the poor house today. I bought some triple 16 for hay ground. The suggested application is 200 lbs to the acre. I am thinking about reducing to 150 lbs to the acre. We only get one cutting here. Anybody have some thoughts on this? Like all of you I'm trying to reduce costs, yet keep some yield. :roll:

I know that hurt bad but it would have cost you even more had you waited.

Where did you get a recommendation for 200 pounds of triple 16? Was it based on a soil test? The 32 pounds of N that you are putting on wont grow much hay. A ton of 12% protein hay removes just under 40 pounds of N. The chicken manure that is available around here (actually closer to you than me) works out to being a whole lot cheaper than commercial.

No soil test. Hind sight I should have. The ground I am using used to have a lot of turkey manure put on it. I got decent yield last year with no fertilizer. The year prior it sat farrow. I am trying to push the yield without going broke. I checked into chicken litter. It was about the same as commercial. Hopefully someone will buy the turkey farm down the road and start raising birds again.