triple 16 and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

The Rogue

Reaction score
question??? How long shoud I keep my cows off the pasture after I spread triple 16. This is my first year with cows. Now that my wife corrected my spelling and periods I can send this off.

The Rogue":2lrb8w09 said:
question??? How long shoud I keep my cows off the pasture after I spread triple 16. This is my first year with cows. Now that my wife corrected my spelling and periods I can send this off.

I don't take mine off at all. But then, I use Triple 17. ;-)

MikeC":dvc5e3ak said:
The Rogue":dvc5e3ak said:

I don't take mine off at all. But then, I use Triple 17. ;-)
Cheapskate. :lol:

Wow. I've never heard of anyone spreading fertilizer out on pastures before. Is this a regular thing to do down south? We dont do that up here. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just wondering.

Karl":1kc0l27w said:
Wow. I've never heard of anyone spreading fertilizer out on pastures before. Is this a regular thing to do down south? We dont do that up here. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just wondering.

Especially hayfields. You take something off, you have to put something back.

Karl, I have alot of hilly pastures. I drive as far down as is safe on the hillsides when spreading and then spread while driving straight up the hills that I can drive up and the steeper hillsides have to make due without. I have flat creek and river bottoms also, but I dont put up hay anymore, so I use everything for pasture

I have never been to the South before, you guys got big hills, huge draws, what we call canyons(Really huge Draws)? How big our your pastures on average?

Karl":kcyearav said:
I have never been to the South before, you guys got big hills, huge draws, what we call canyons(Really huge Draws)? How big our your pastures on average?
We've got big Hills, Hollers, bottoms, most of our Pastures are broke up between ridges and woods, with some fields up to 60 Acres of Pasture.We have 2 Farms, with very different characteristics.

Karl, my biggest pasture is 200 acres, most of my pastures are in the 60-80 acre range and I have a few that are 10 acres for special watching or special feeding or that is how they ended up with the winding road or creek or river

The South is a mighty big region and it's not all geographically the same. In Alabama for instance, we've got some fairly steep hills and mountains in the north, prairie land in south central AL., flat coastal plains, beaches along the Gulf, swampland, etc. Pastures may range from just a few acres to several hundred acres in size. Y'all don't fertilize grass in Nebraska? If not, why?

Lot's of flat river bottom-land around here. Pasture sizes vary big time. Biggest one I know of around here is 2 sections.

The Rogue":230c4nt0 said:
Just make sure each cow is properly fitted with safety goggles when spreading fertilizer. It tends to burn their eyes if it hits them in their little faces. ;-)

We dont fertilize pastures because they are too big and way too rough to be drivin equipment in. This is interesting, I love to learn about the way people do things in different parts of this great country. Id like to come down south sometime.

J. T.":3bs0b816 said:
The Rogue":3bs0b816 said:
Just make sure each cow is properly fitted with safety goggles when spreading fertilizer. It tends to burn their eyes if it hits them in their little faces. ;-)
I dont take my cattle off either just watch out for them big clumps of nitrogen.when your spreading you'll want to break those up

Karl":e1bxvpxm said:
We dont fertilize pastures because they are too big and way too rough to be drivin equipment in. This is interesting, I love to learn about the way people do things in different parts of this great country. Id like to come down south sometime.
sounds like a good place for a crop duster you dont see them much any more. there was a man around here a few years ago that was a crop dusting fool no way would i ride in a airplane with that man at the wheel :cboy:

We havent had a crop duster in this area for years. Probably a good thing as he was getting pretty old and had his license taken away. That was a 10-15 years ago if i remeber right.

Latest posts