trimming donkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
We recently got two donkeys from a guy who lost his house. they are in bad need of a trim. I am a retired farrier and can't remember what we were tought in school about donkeys. Can anyone direct me to some information on trimming donkeys. They are in bad need or a trim. The mama is letting me pick her feet up but I am going to do the baby when he's out durring castration.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Double R

I'm sure there is a donkey forum on the computer--Only thing I remember is donkey feet are much more upright than horse feet,so they are trimmed different-if you do them like a horse you risk leg /tendon trouble.
I went on "ASK" put in" trimming donkey hoofs "and came up with a lot of info on how to figgure angles and such. Longears forum.

A donkey will sit up higher on the heel than a horse. You almost never have to trim the frog, although you may have to since you say that they need trimming bad. Just be careful in that area. Mine need more rasping than anything else.

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I have search online with not much luck however I am not that computer savy. You have given me a start and I appreciate it. Thanks.
Keep it coming if anyone else has imput.
Thanks again,
Double R

Anytime you want to know anything,go to "ask.com" They even work out my misspellings! :lol2: No kidding,thats the best place I've found.

Latest posts