Trimming Chute accidents?

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Today we had the hoof trimmer out. Most of the cows were alright getting in and out (they were pretty calm-dairy cows), but two had some trouble-one got one back leg caught up underneath her and sank down in the chute and got stuck, then another got tangled up on the way out and had to drag herself out, skun up her knees and back legs pretty good. This got me thinking-the only animals I have seen trimmed have been my show animals and dairy cattle-when those wild beef animals get in there do they ever get really hurt? Is there a significant risk of injury? Even if so, I am guessing the benefits are greater than the risks but I am just curious.

LoveMoo11":5lswclcm said:
Today we had the hoof trimmer out. Most of the cows were alright getting in and out (they were pretty calm-dairy cows), but two had some trouble-one got one back leg caught up underneath her and sank down in the chute and got stuck, then another got tangled up on the way out and had to drag herself out, skun up her knees and back legs pretty good. This got me thinking-the only animals I have seen trimmed have been my show animals and dairy cattle-when those wild beef animals get in there do they ever get really hurt? Is there a significant risk of injury? Even if so, I am guessing the benefits are greater than the risks but I am just curious.

Chute accidents are common with wilder cows and sometimes quiet ones.

I have never trimmed a hoof on a beef cow - if it needs trimming it goes down the road - those genetics do not belong on our place.

Bez+

I bought some fancy beef cows when we first started here and then I heard later on that they had a hoof trimming chute. Wish I would have known that ahead of time..A few have had nothing but foot problems ,sand cracks ,overgrown hooves. I am gradually culling them.

We aways had the "No tilt" hoof trimmer out for our dairy once a month and the cows never had a problem with that contraption. I have used it on a few of my beef many years ago and they were not calm by any means at that time and it went all surprisingly smooth as well, no injuries at all.

sometimes when they get in the chute and the headgate is closed on them for whatever is being done they can get down on their knees and choke to death. Some you can persuade back up on their feet other you wouldnt be able to get the tractor and chains fast enough. Since the thread was made just thought I'd share it. Has nothing to do with trimming but just another accident that happens.

Bez+":1edhnsfp said:
I have never trimmed a hoof on a beef cow - if it needs trimming it goes down the road - those genetics do not belong on our place.

Bez+

Same here. No hoof trimming at our place.

LoveMoo11":2e5bvzs5 said:
...when those wild beef animals get in there do they ever get really hurt? Is there a significant risk of injury? Even if so, I am guessing the benefits are greater than the risks but I am just curious.

Feet that require trimming are a helluva good reason to cull around here. Anytime you put an animal in a chute there is a risk of injury - how significant that risk is depends on more variables than I care to list.

Latest posts