Trimmer / Lt. brushcutter

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Want to get a new trimmer since mine no longer wish to run.Would like to have capibility to put a blade attachment on for cutting thick weeds,vines,etc under electric fences and to cut multiflora and small cedars or russian olive where I can't bush hog(< 1").
I have good Stihl and Husq. dealers.Also have Echo /Shindaiwa dealer and a RedMaxx dealer but don't know how well they service them or if it's a sideline from there other repair buisnesses.
Have considered FS 91 Stihl and 525 Husqvarna.The Stihl has a dedicated woody plant blade available but is still their 4 stroke.The Husq is a strato 2 cycle but not dedicated brush blade,only grass/weed.
Advice welcome

Stihl FS94R is a two stroke. Great power to weight, better than the 4 mix, and it's a commercial model so you can get it with bike handles and a brush blade.

The Stihl 4 mix is a great engine though. I've had an FS90R for 8 years and it still works great.

I like the saw blades a lot more than the 3 tooth brush knife. Mine will saw a 3" tree, has a 22 tooth blade that you can sharpen with a round file.

The Stihl Kombi system makes switching from blade to string easier. You can put a blade on any solid shaft Stihl though, a dealer can set you up with the hardware. It's less than 20 bucks IIRC. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a trimmer without bike handles though.

Don't know much about the other brands. The Stihl is a top quality product, most of the "pros" in this area use them.

Stihl are only sold through servicing dealers. The others any one can sell.

We have an FS106, it's 25 years old now, hasn't needed much for service. I have a 12" (or 14"?) table saw blade on it for woody plants, it'll take down up to 2", that includes sawing through fence posts, irrigation pipe, etc if you're not careful.
Anything with a 1" mounting hole can be mounted on it.. I didn't like the 3 blade brushcutter at all, tangles with grass too easily, the 4 blade is a little better.

This is a tool we use several times a week.
I've gone to echo. Stihl makes a better machine
But knuckleheads break stuff no matter the price and echo is cheaper and the box stores are looser with replacement warranty.

The biggest tip I can give is to use a framing Skil saw blade. Depending on your arbor you may have to knock out the insert in the blade or make a bushing. But once you get it worked out it will out cut any brush cutter blade made.
And you can bulk buy cheap framing blades for a few bucks a piece.

Had a shindaiwa once, found it on the side of the road...think it fell of a lawn care service truck... Had several cutters in the past.. But it was the best one I ever owned...bout decided now though,to just stay with the cheaper one.... 100 percent gas and good oil mix is the life of one...

Echo has my business on any small engine item. I have had Stihl, Husky, and Echo and I feel I get an easier starting more reliable machine with Echo.

Latest posts