Trimec Herbicide for Pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

josh8906

Reaction score
I have been using Amine 400 to spray my pastures. I noticed another product called Trimec Lawn Weed Killer that has ingredients 24d, Dicamba, and Mecoprop-p. The Trimec Lawn Weed Killer doesn't say on the label whether or not you can use it on pastures or rangelands. Does anybody know if this is safe to spray on pastures or hay fields? I know Weedmaster herbicide has 24d and Dicamba but doesn't have the ingredient Mecoprop-p and it says it can be used on pastures. I have beef cattle and I just want to make sure it is safe to use. I just thought it was pretty cheap at Tractor Supply and would kill more weeds than the Amine 400 I'm using. Thanks

From the specimen label, it doesn't sound very economical.
http://www.ruralking.com/media/blfa_fil ... _Label.pdf

If I read that right, (chart 3) it says to use 3 oz of Trimec to 3 gals of water, to treat 750 sq ft. That is about 1/60 sq acre. 1 Acre=43,560 sq ft. IOW, label directs give the mix ratio as 1oz to 1 gal of water. 100oz Trimec will make 100 gals of mixture.
Also didn't see anything about restrictions for grazing on the label--I'd be a little leery of it myself.

josh8906":2i6l4jzd said:
I have been using Amine 400 to spray my pastures. I noticed another product called Trimec Lawn Weed Killer that has ingredients 24d, Dicamba, and Mecoprop-p. The Trimec Lawn Weed Killer doesn't say on the label whether or not you can use it on pastures or rangelands. Does anybody know if this is safe to spray on pastures or hay fields? I know Weedmaster herbicide has 24d and Dicamba but doesn't have the ingredient Mecoprop-p and it says it can be used on pastures. I have beef cattle and I just want to make sure it is safe to use. I just thought it was pretty cheap at Tractor Supply and would kill more weeds than the Amine 400 I'm using. Thanks
Hard to beat a quart of 2-4D and Remedy to a 100 gallons that pretty well
takes out everything including Chinese tallow.

A little lite on the 24d ain't it. Are you spraying that 100 gals on just one acre. I believe label recommends or suggest at least a quart per acre of 24D. I put a quart in 10 gals of water and apply that to one acre. If I need a little remedy to help with some hard woods I will add a pint.

I was going to add 3 pints of 24D this year because it was getting late in the year and the weeds where a little more mature but it hasn't ever dried up enough to spray and now everything is tall enough to cut so I am going to wait until after first cut and spray then.

I've been using Amine 400 at 1.5 quarts per acre. I am mixing 454 ounces to 150 gallons. I was hoping to get a broader weed control with the Trimec but not sure if its safe for beef cattle.

Rajela":1lzl5b4j said:

A little lite on the 24d ain't it. Are you spraying that 100 gals on just one acre. I believe label recommends or suggest at least a quart per acre of 24D. I put a quart in 10 gals of water and apply that to one acre. If I need a little remedy to help with some hard woods I will add a pint.

I was going to add 3 pints of 24D this year because it was getting late in the year and the weeds where a little more mature but it hasn't ever dried up enough to spray and now everything is tall enough to cut so I am going to wait until after first cut and spray then.
24d alone, won't kill tallow, and other woody plants we have in abundance here in East Texas. It does great on goatweed and other easy to kill species, but we use Remedy as the primary and add 24d just to help with the easy stuff. With this year's early an frequent heavy rains and high runoff, there will be tallow seeds everywhere sprouting where there were none last year--same with sweetgum.
1 qt or 2 qts/100gal water both work. One ratio makes the herbicide company more money, one saves the landowner some money.
As the Dow rep told me privately "We aren't really in the business of killing plants--we're in the business of making money".

Greybeard how many acres are you able to spray at 100 gallons? With a 150 gallons I'm able to spray about 9 acres which I mix 453 ounces 24d to that.

Latest posts