Trichomonas-Lucky_P Look

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Lucky_P, this is an immunology question. I don't mean to exclude anyone else who has the appropriate background on the use of vaccines for protozoans verus bacteria/virus. Several articles have recently appeared in periodicals that I receive on the subject of Trichomonas infections in cattle. Vaccines can be very effective for viruses as the antigen-antibody mechanism can remember the protein coat,etc. Vaccines work on bacteria to a lessor extent, but protozoans are another story. Malaria for example is a sporozan of the Phylum Protozoa and the world would be a different place if there were an effective vaccine for malaria. Is a vaccine for Trichomonas for real? Are you seeing any large scale use of these vaccines? Are they really practical given the short term immunity they provide? TrichGuard must be given in a series of 3 injected doses. The last one 4 weeks prior to breeding. Who is going to do that?

Not sure I can be of much help on this one.
I'm familiar with the 'diagnosis' end of the deal - and know the time-honored recommendations for prevention and management, but I have no personal experience with the T.foetus vaccine - and don't know of any producers or veterinarians in my service area who are using or recommending it.
We are seeing some positive test results on bulls here in KY&TN.

Malaria is a problem, with regard to effective vaccination, because it 'changes its coat' on a regular schedule, so as soon as the host begins to develop immunity, it alters its immunologic appearance. I'm unaware of whether or not this phenomenon occurs with T.foetus.

I suppose that if I had an infected herd, or were running cattle on 'open range', where they might be co-mingled with potentially-infected cattle, I might look into vaccination, which may have some efficacy in either preventing infection in the cow - or at least diminishing early embryonic death - but is not labeled for use in bulls.