Trich Testing Change Marketing Patterns for Bull Sellers....

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Probably not too many on this board that buy/sell bulls in the Montana/Wyo area- but this is something for any that do to think about...
The other day, I was talking to an old friend that is a longtime Hereford breeder- sells his bulls as 2 year olds private treaty....

But he was in a stew- with Montana's new Trich rules most of his bulls no longer qualify under the virgin bull exemption (requires the bulls be under 24 months and never have been used for breeding)-- so in order to sell them he needs to have them tested...Which I don't believe any of the local vets are set up to do- and which my vet said he thought could run about $400- $500 a bull-( 3 tests 30 days apart with quarantine in between)... I've heard that the Dept of Livestock is considering only one test if all bulls on the place are tested at the same time- but have not seen the rule yet...

And he said Wyomings rule was just as tough or tougher- said he thought all bulls entering or leaving the state (except to slaughter) had to be tested there....

Anyway- I was wondering if this will change the marketing programs for bulls for any of the bull people- especially the Hereford folks that normally sell a lot of bulls that could be over that 24 month date....
Even some of the fall calving programs that winter the bulls for folks could have to deliver bulls prior to the bulls 24 month birthdate or do testing....

Oldtimer":2w2a9mj3 said:
And he said Wyomings rule was just as tough or tougher- said he thought all bulls entering or leaving the state (except to slaughter) had to be tested there....

He is correct.

we have our 2 year old bulls semen tested and trich tested and bled for only 75 dollars per bull here in oregon

Latest posts