Tribute-#9

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
List past week the best cow we've ever had along with a unanimous favorite of the family died of what is presumably a snake bite at 16. :( :frowns:

Misc076.jpg

Misc069.jpg

Misc070.jpg

where did she get struck at? neck? looks like she was a pretty good milker..that sucks. had a good life though if she made it to 16 and died at home.

Sorry to hear that Jake. She looks like a nice rip and obviously performed well in the longevity department.

Beefy":2v6ey8w5 said:
where did she get struck at? neck? looks like she was a pretty good milker..that sucks. had a good life though if she made it to 16 and died at home.

her head and neck swelled up like a balloon, vets couldnt' figure it out. the day she died she went in and got the "venom" drained and it was the god awfullest thing you'd ever seen according to Grandpa. Hot humid day swelled up the rest of her windpipe evidently. Nothing we could do.... extremely depressing

Dad had a red baldy of some sort when i was first starting out whos head blew up real big and it killed her. vet said it was cancer. just blew up one day like a basketball.

Sorry to hear about your cow Jake. She looked like a good one and I bet she was gentle. I like to hear the cows staying fertile the older they get. Sounds like she could pass that on to her daughters and when they have a calf every year, they are hard to beat. We have some older cows too that never skip a beat.

Sorry about your cow Jake. I would be suspicious about the diagnosis. They usually will develop a very large knot where bitten. They may swell elsewhere but there will be a very big knot right at the bite. I will try to get you a picture of what it looks like. I have one right now that has a softball size knot under her chin bone. I have these quite often. Not sure what kind of snakes you have there but our rattlers and moccasins both do the same. Big knot.

flaboy":23g250my said:
Sorry about your cow Jake. I would be suspicious about the diagnosis. They usually will develop a very large knot where bitten. They may swell elsewhere but there will be a very big knot right at the bite. I will try to get you a picture of what it looks like. I have one right now that has a softball size knot under her chin bone. I have these quite often. Not sure what kind of snakes you have there but our rattlers and moccasins both do the same. Big knot.

How come a snake bite doenst seem to affect an animal as much as a human. One of my buddies redbones was bitten by a copperhead about a week or so ago and all there was, were some swelling where it was bitten?

CopeMan":2cqe80pe said:
flaboy":2cqe80pe said:

How come a snake bite doenst seem to affect an animal as much as a human. One of my buddies redbones was bitten by a copperhead about a week or so ago and all there was, were some swelling where it was bitten?

I am not a vet but from my experience it seems animals have a higher tolerance to the venom. I used to have Walker deer dogs. It seems they got bitten quite often but never had a problem other than some swelling. I always gave them a dose of penicillin just in case. The cow I have now that was bitten had been that way for some time before I saw her. Natural defence system I guess.

I watched a show on the National Geographic channel about this world famous snake scientist who over the years has become immune to cobra and other various snake venoms. He does this by dilluting th venom with water and gives himself injections and over time he increases more venom and less water till he can handleand is immune to pure 100% venom. Very interesting.

I guess hes trying to be ivinsible!! Same senario happened with an inmate on death row and immuning himself to each segment of lethal injection.