Triangle 10 HB or ViraShield 6LV HB?

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2

Reaction score
Triangle 10 HB is less expensive but does not contain Vibrio. Valley Vet says it is an excellent vaccine and Vibrio isn't an issue anymore but HB is a big deal and absolutely should be included.
ViraShield is more expensive. Has Vibrio and HB.
I can't talk to my veterinarian about this as he doesn't sell any of the above and believes HB is unnecessary.
I am not using cost as first criteria.
I don't know if Vibrio should be a factor in deciding which vaccine to use. I'd rather not give vibrio as a separate vaccine as there is getting to be too many syringes in use at the chute.
My question is: Would you use Triangle 10HB and not worry about vibrio
or
ViraShield 6LV HB that does contain vibrio

In regard to Vibriosis. It is a bacterial venereal disease caused by the bacterium Campylobacter fetus and is spread by infected bulls. In my operation, it is not a factor because I am 100 % AI. My cows never see a bull. If you are confident your bull is not infected, don't vaccinate for Vibriosis.

Regarding HB, your vet may have a unique perspective. I would like you to ask him why be thinks it is unnecessary.

I use Vira Shield 6+VL5 HB on my cows/bulls/replacement heifers. Calves get Triangle 4+PH-K prior to weaning. Recommended & purchased from my vet BUT he's also the first to offer a less expensive alternative if there is one.

One thing you should consider: Do you sell heifers as seedstock?

If yes, some sales require vaccination for Vibriosis. Even though I do not vaccinate the cows, I vaccinate all my heifers with Spirovac VL5. The reason, I sell heifers that are purchased under the CAIP program. Vaccinations are required for Vibriosis for the buyer to be reimbursed under that Kentucky program.

No-I don't sell heifers as seedstock. I keep some as replacements and the rest go as feeder heifers.
My concern-in thinking this through-would be if my bulls jumped the fence into neighbors cows and brought it back or a neighbors bull coming into my cows and carrying vibrio. I'd like to try Triangle but it's probably better to be prepared.
My veterinarian said vaccine with HB is too expensive and unnecessary...I disagree.
Any ideas why Triangle doesn't have vibrio in their vaccine?

Chocolate Cow2":3sv8gi16 said:
No-I don't sell heifers as seedstock. I keep some as replacements and the rest go as feeder heifers.
My concern-in thinking this through-would be if my bulls jumped the fence into neighbors cows and brought it back or a neighbors bull coming into my cows and carrying vibrio. I'd like to try Triangle but it's probably better to be prepared.
My veterinarian said vaccine with HB is too expensive and unnecessary...I disagree.
Any ideas why Triangle doesn't have vibrio in their vaccine?

First - I think your vet is penny wise and pound foolish!!!!

If there is Vibriosis in your area, I would use the Vira Shield 6 + VL5 HB. That covers the 5 Fetal Protection viruses, Vibriosis, the 5 Leptospira bacteria including the L. borgpetersenii serovar (Hardjo Bovis).

TCRanch":4wy06gkh said:
Ebenezer":4wy06gkh said:
Closed herd but I still do the V and HB because of unknowns and sales.
I have a closed herd but my neighbors bull has a tendency to disregard the fence & hotwire. Guess that qualifies as unknown & I want my girls protected.

Have you tried a top hot wire supported by extended insulators? I would not want my neighbor's bull breeding any of my cattle even if he was sterile! I decide who my cows/heifers are bred to.

My neighbor's bull is a long shallow, crappy looking limo. Reminds me of a lizard.

Bright Raven":ozs0wkmp said:
TCRanch":ozs0wkmp said:
Ebenezer":ozs0wkmp said:
Closed herd but I still do the V and HB because of unknowns and sales.
I have a closed herd but my neighbors bull has a tendency to disregard the fence & hotwire. Guess that qualifies as unknown & I want my girls protected.

Have you tried a top hot wire supported by extended insulators? I would not want my neighbor's bull breeding any of my cattle even if he was sterile! I decide who my cows/heifers are bred to.

My neighbor's bull is a long shallow, crappy looking limo. Reminds me of a lizard.
Neighbors were actually out last Sat working on the hot wire; they moved it about 2ft inside the fence. I have no clue what their bull is other than butt ugly & black. Oh, and he's scared of me (rightfully so!).

TCRanch":2e2sf15a said:
Bright Raven":2e2sf15a said:
TCRanch":2e2sf15a said:

Neighbors were actually out last Sat working on the hot wire; they moved it about 2ft inside the fence. I have no clue what their bull is other than butt ugly & black. Oh, and he's scared of me (rightfully so!).

I maintain the electric fence. We have excellent high tensile woven wire fence between us. I took the initiative to add two strands of electric fence wire on his side of the fence. I don't have a bull so the objective is to keep his bull away from my cattle. I put one strand about half way up to keep his bull from nosing my girls. I put the other strand on top and sticking about a foot into his space. Neither his cows or bull bother my cattle.

Latest posts