trend chaser

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I sold all of my black baldies and bought sollid black cows just to be like 90% of the people on this board. Then I had to buy a ANGUS bull and call all of my black culls ANGUS. So my herd is a ANGUS bull (not even fullblooded just somebodys cull) and all black cull cows.
HEY I'M IN YOUR CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOO!

By the way, I would never trade the baldies for anything. The Angus/Hereford quality coupled with the hybrid vigor makes an excellent cross. One I happen to be very fond of. That wasn't a smart move.

You are in the wanna be club. You want to raise something else but cash in on the black angus premium. Everyone concentrates on the black hide and misses the whole secret to CAB success, the quality carcass requirement.
pat

D.R. Cattle":2tk8wfay said:
By the way, I would never trade the baldies for anything. The Angus/Hereford quality coupled with the hybrid vigor makes an excellent cross. One I happen to be very fond of. That wasn't a smart move.

I agree with DR, you are losing heterosis if you went to straight angus x angus. But if you are like everyone else who only cares for its hide...you are going to fall in the pit as well as the other 90% in about five-ten years from now. BTW, I am not anti-Angus. Both Angus and black baldies are pretty good COMMERICAL cattle. The politics behind Angus is plain stupidity...They are in this world notion that "FAT means TENDERNESS" flaw. Oh well. Yes its my opinion!

Oregonian":17qjk0k3 said:
D.R. Cattle":17qjk0k3 said:

I agree with DR, you are losing heterosis if you went to straight angus x angus. But if you are like everyone else who only cares for its hide...you are going to fall in the pit as well as the other 90% in about five-ten years from now. BTW, I am not anti-Angus. Both Angus and black baldies are pretty good COMMERICAL cattle. The politics behind Angus is plain stupidity...They are in this world notion that "FAT means TENDERNESS" flaw. Oh well. Yes its my opinion!

Marbling means tenderness. Marbling is the intra muscular fat found in top quality beef. Plain fat is what some other breeeds besides the main three British breeds have only on the outside of the carcass.
Do I have to tell you everything..
The pit is so deep that they will be on top of you because you already fell in. Head first. Does it hurt. It must to be so jealous that you cant see the forest for the trees.

slick willy":1s2h1f0z said:
I sold all of my black baldies and bought sollid black cows just to be like 90% of the people on this board. Then I had to buy a ANGUS bull and call all of my black culls ANGUS. So my herd is a ANGUS bull (not even fullblooded just somebodys cull) and all black cull cows.

Do you know an annomyous oregonian.

We have had cattle running with my dad's for the last 12 years in a commercial herd. The bulls that we used consists of Brangus ,South Devon , Hereford, some Santa Gertrudis at one point. All contributed some great qualities. Th Santas gave us a few more calving problems , but some great big meaty offspring and really good mothers and marketable steers. The South Devon {some of my personal favorites} gave us some really nice frame size on our mothers. Their calves are always ones you hate to part with.The Brangus did some of the same for mothering and fast growing steers and nice replacements. It's hard to beat the Baldies for contant producers and good mothers. I think it takes a very careful acessment of your individual herd , year to year to make the right decisions. My dad has passed a couple of years ago and now it's up to us to make all the decisions and I see the things he looked at when he purchased a new bull . It is the market in your area , but it it soooo much where your herd is at , at the time. It takes different Breeds to make a good market product and it is not the same answer for everyone. You know your herd better than anyone.

I realized there is another Anita on the board and just want ot clarify that I am from Arkansas Good calving to all !!!!

la4angus":1hq362y8 said:
Oregonian":1hq362y8 said:
D.R. Cattle":1hq362y8 said:
Marbling means tenderness. Marbling is the intra muscular fat found in top quality beef. Plain fat is what some other breeeds besides the main three British breeds have only on the outside of the carcass.
Do I have to tell you everything..
The pit is so deep that they will be on top of you because you already fell in. Head first. Does it hurt. It must to be so jealous that you cant see the forest for the trees.

Marbling means tenderness? Marbling means IMF and as you have posted before FLAVOR.

Maybe you can explain to me the corealtion (or lack of it) between the genestar tests on the Angus bulls in the Genex catalouge. Very few similarities between tenderness and marbling results.

I have had CAB steak that was tough because of connective tissue. There is at least one test (WB Shear Force) that has shown you don't need highly marbled beef to be tender.

la4angus wrote the above quote not D.R. Cattle. Edited too much I guess.

I agree silly willy.You don't get rid of black baldies. We use them to cross South Devon and Brahman over. they are great mothers. Run rings around the straight angus.
Don't follow trends they can ruin you. One thing in the Angus favour they are good promoters.
Colin

Colin Chevalley":1vn3hd28 said:
I agree silly willy.You don't get rid of black baldies. We use them to cross South Devon and Brahman over. they are great mothers. Run rings around the straight angus.
Don't follow trends they can ruin you. One thing in the Angus favour they are good promoters.
Colin

Angus cattle aren't a trend they are an institution. Your composites on the other hand, well that is chasing a trend. When your cattle do the talking on the kill floor and you give the consumer what they want that makes promotion so much easier. I'm not here to promote straight angus cattle I think if you don't crossbreed you are only hurting yourself but there is no reason that angus shuoldn't be incorporated somehow in the breeding plan of every commercial beef herd in the country. I think you are trying to convince yourself that you are on the verge of discovering the next best thing, well i'm here to tell you that it's already been found and it's black and it's polled and it's profitable.ANGUS

: applause : just imagine what this board would be like if everybody was as outspoken as BP, well done and nice speach.

BLACKPOWER":2pl2khst said:
Colin Chevalley":2pl2khst said:
Colin

Angus cattle aren't a trend they are an institution. Your composites on the other hand, well that is chasing a trend. When your cattle do the talking on the kill floor and you give the consumer what they want that makes promotion so much easier. I'm not here to promote straight angus cattle I think if you don't crossbreed you are only hurting yourself but there is no reason that angus shuoldn't be incorporated somehow in the breeding plan of every commercial beef herd in the country. I think you are trying to convince yourself that you are on the verge of discovering the next best thing, well i'm here to tell you that it's already been found and it's black and it's polled and it's profitable.ANGUS

Go ahead BP. I would like to be considered your friend. The industry needs more people with an open mind who puts mind in gear before fingers in motion; myself first on the list.

slick willy said:

And people say I'm stupid! :lol:

Ellie May":34zd301h said:
slick willy":34zd301h said:

And people say I'm stupid! :lol:
Ellie Mae,you are not stupid. A long way from it; to be honest.

In my opinion, you should raise what you ENJOY raising, and what you have a market for! If you're raising cattle for the auction barn, black is what sells.

If you have good cattle that will feed out and grade well, retain ownership! We've done that with our "earred" cattle over the years, and have always gotten a premium over what they would bring through the sale.

I don't agree that Angus cattle are the best cattle in the world.. but that organization has done some great marketing over the years!

Latest posts