Trees anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

3rdgeneration farmer

Reaction score
Im looking to plant trees that will grow fast to cover an eye sore from being seen from my house. I want whatever grows the fastest and would like to know when the best time to plant is.

if you lived in Australia I would sugest Acacia Elata or commonly called a Cedar Wattle. I had seen them years ago when I lived in the warmer area just above sea level. They are not really supposed to grow that well in our cool area (3,000 feet ). I have planted several about 8 years ago they are now about 15 feet high (about their max height). I have planted a few more three years ago they are already about 10 feet tall. These are in a little more protected area from the frosts. These trees are very long living as opposed to most Wattle which turn up their toes after about 12 or so years. The other things I like about these trees are their cream flowers in spring and summer and they are not a big tree with branches that could harm you.They are easy to trim,they have leaves very similar to a Poinciana.
If you like pines Cuppressus Lelandii is a quick growing green pine that seems not to die as readily as some of them. I planted a row leading into our property 9 yeras ago they are about 10/12 foot tall now. We have had fairly dry seasons/droughts since they were planted.
Colin

Talk with your local extension agent. Ask them about hybred poplar.(fastest growing in this area) They will most likely have lots of info on species that will grow quickly and when to plant in your area.

How high of a hedge do you need? Eleagnus (russian olive) gets big fast, up to 25-30' or so. If you need taller, Green Ash also are a tree that gets big fast. Now thru winter here is the best time to plant.

3rdgeneration farmer":1bam6r3a said:
Im looking to plant trees that will grow fast to cover an eye sore from being seen from my house. I want whatever grows the fastest and would like to know when the best time to plant is.

Silver Leaf Maple. You can have a shade tree in three years.

Lammie":zvq9jugp said:
3rdgeneration farmer":zvq9jugp said:

Silver Leaf Maple. You can have a shade tree in three years.

Just make sure you don't plant them closer than 40' from any utilities especially PVC lines. They have a VERY aggressive root system and will break PVC in a few years.

Latest posts