Tree ID

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Libertygarden is right.

The honey locust in Texas have huge thorns (3-6") laid out in a bird's foot pattern. We call them the crown of thorns, similar to what was thought to be the crown placed on the head of Jesus.

Honey Locust: http://mosurvival.blogspot.com/2012/06/honey-locust-thorn-tree.html (they have an image of the thorns)

Black Locust: (for the images) https://www.coldstreamfarm.net/product/black-locust-robinia-pseudoacacia/

I think there are 27 varieties of mesquite trees in the world and the vast majority are in South America. SW US has 3 varieties.

Last edited:
Anyone know what this tree is? I think it's a Mesquite but I'm not sure if it's a Velvet, Juliflora, hybrid or something else.

It has had most of it's leaves stripped by birds but if you zoom in you can get a decent look.
Couldn't find any pods or flowers if there were any they would have been eaten first.

I'm in Australia and this is the first time I've seen a tree like this here.

Thanks

Anyone know what this tree is? I think it's a Mesquite but I'm not sure if it's a Velvet, Juliflora, hybrid or something else.

It has had most of it's leaves stripped by birds but if you zoom in you can get a decent look.
Couldn't find any pods or flowers if there were any they would have been eaten first.

Thanks
If we are voting, I think a locust is the most likely. Mimosa would have a different bark and different branch formation.

Black locust. The hardest domestic lumber in the United States also one of the most rot resistant.

Thanks
If it doesn't have extremely long, sharp thorns on it, it's not a Mesquite. Google "what tree is this in Australia"

Honey locust have bipinnately compound leaves. Black locust have pinnate leaves. That picture is hard to tell, but a novice knowing the leaf types should be able to narrow it down quickly in person. You can not go by thorns, black locust have very fragrant flowers. I have heard of cutting black locust low as sapplings and grazing their yearly growth. They would be high protein, a tree like the mulberry tree might be worth grazing this way. I know cows will eat anything they can grab on mulberries.

Looks like a mature honey locust. Thorns seem to be more prominent on younger trees, I've cut big trees like that for fire wood may find a few smaller thorns on branches.