Tree ID

Help Support CattleToday:

Aussie27

Reaction score
Anyone know what this tree is? I think it's a Mesquite but I'm not sure if it's a Velvet, Juliflora, hybrid or something else.

It has had most of it's leaves stripped by birds but if you zoom in you can get a decent look.
Couldn't find any pods or flowers if there were any they would have been eaten first.

I'm in Australia and this is the first time I've seen a tree like this here.

Thanks

Attachments

• EEE43E33-EAE3-4F46-BB8A-D0ECC7FF0BBE.jpeg
    EEE43E33-EAE3-4F46-BB8A-D0ECC7FF0BBE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 685ED4AE-019E-4E5C-BC9D-B874C898CA6D.jpeg
    685ED4AE-019E-4E5C-BC9D-B874C898CA6D.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 49
  • 19D486D4-B1A3-42B2-B649-41C8B42A46B2.jpeg
    19D486D4-B1A3-42B2-B649-41C8B42A46B2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
Aussie27, doesn't look like the mesquite around here. Does it have thorns on it?

Aussie27, doesn't look like the mesquite around here. Does it have thorns on it?
Yes but hardly any. I could only make out 6 on the photo as I'm not near the tree at the moment. It's quite old and in a very good spot for our area. We get 400mm of rain a year but that tree is in an irrigated lawn 100m from a creek.

Anyone know what this tree is? I think it's a Mesquite but I'm not sure if it's a Velvet, Juliflora, hybrid or something else.

It has had most of it's leaves stripped by birds but if you zoom in you can get a decent look.
Couldn't find any pods or flowers if there were any they would have been eaten first.

I'm in Australia and this is the first time I've seen a tree like this here.

Thanks

Aussie27, @Redgully may know what this tree is.

I can't screenshot with this phone. Or guess I don't know how. Someone that can screenshot can zoom In on the leaves and send the picture to plantnet.com . It will tell you

I can't screenshot with this phone. Or guess I don't know how. Someone that can screenshot can zoom In on the leaves and send the picture to plantnet.com . It will tell you
plantnet.org said Gleditsia triacanthos - aka honey locust like Nkline stated

Could be a honey locust. We only have a weeping thornless around here but that tree is old. I will zoom in and take a screenshot.

Here it is

Attachments

• F4ADBB44-010B-4C51-B317-1F229694C238.png
    F4ADBB44-010B-4C51-B317-1F229694C238.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 18
Could be a honey locust. We only have a weeping thornless around here but that tree is old. I will zoom in and take a screenshot.
Our honey locust have thorns so big that they can puncture a tire. It looks like a honey locust but never seen one that big or without thorns.

Off topic but I listened to an Extension Agent speak once on the benefits of planting honey locust for the protein from the seed for grazing sheep. It didn't go over very well for a group that had been trying to get rid of honey locust.

Off topic but I listened to an Extension Agent speak once on the benefits of planting honey locust for the protein from the seed for grazing sheep. It didn't go over very well for a group that had been trying to get rid of honey locust
That's why I am interested in these legume trees. We have 5 months of summer drought here. I'm in 400mm rainfall zone so we grow great grass in winter. I'm interested in all sort of fodder trees and shrubs that can complement my grazing system. About an hour north west of me most sheep are grazed on saltbush for large parts of the year. I have saltbush coming up in some of my paddocks, most farms in my area would cut it out but for me it's feed for my sheep in summer and cover for my lambs in winter.
Mesquite are a weed in Australia so are Honey locust in some parts but a weed is any plant in the wrong place like that saltbush would be a weed to most farmers.

I had a run in with a small field of long thorn locust while cleaning a new pasture a few years ago. 24 punctures in my 4 AG tires after a couple hours of land clearing. 9 in one back tire by the time I was done. Land looks great now.... tire plugs and slime and still holding air 3 years later. Wish tractor tires were cheaper....

My first guess would be some form of locust. But a absence of thorns , it could be a mimosa. Pretty common ornamental tree. Flowers are pink. Had one in the yard when I was a kid. Made a horrible mess when shedding the flowers, kinda like a cottonwood does. A mimosa s leafs will noticably curl under at night and uncurl as the sun comes up.