Treatment for coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

sizmic

Reaction score
Whats the most common treatment for coccidiosis in 2-3 month old calves on creep with rumensin in it?

Sizmic

I have never had luck with monesin to prevent coccidi. If I have it it is time for sulfa and probios then prevent with ampro or decox. Newbie stockers get Corrid in water for 5 days than ampro crumbles at previnative dose with feed till May. The show cattle get decox in feed and I use a creep feed with decox still sometimes need sulfa or treatment dose of ampro, even Alpharma says decox is just a preventative if you got it sufa or ampro to cure. I feed Probios or Diamond V till their gut is healed up. Weather and stress play a big role also farm history. Coccidi has a harden cell wall and can live through anything including bleach if you have had it you still got it. Many folks can't see the early signs till they are clinical even than it is robbing performance. Many sicknesses are secondary to this from a run down immune system and open gut.

racekannon":1htc2ck7 said:
I have never had luck with monesin to prevent coccidi. If I have it it is time for sulfa and probios then prevent with ampro or decox. Newbie stockers get Corrid in water for 5 days than ampro crumbles at previnative dose with feed till May. The show cattle get decox in feed and I use a creep feed with decox still sometimes need sulfa or treatment dose of ampro, even Alpharma says decox is just a preventative if you got it sufa or ampro to cure. I feed Probios or Diamond V till their gut is healed up. Weather and stress play a big role also farm history. Coccidi has a harden cell wall and can live through anything including bleach if you have had it you still got it. Many folks can't see the early signs till they are clinical even than it is robbing performance. Many sicknesses are secondary to this from a run down immune system and open gut.
Great post racekannon. We use deccox and gainpro as well. The only thing I might add is that age calf is perfect for a salmonella infection. Just a thought.

Larry

salmonella is really nasty. have the vet take a sample to make sure, or you can get the sample to take to the vet.

"Corid" is either a 5 day accelerated treatment or a 30 day treatment. "Corid" is a proprietary name.

"Amprolium" is the generic, chemical name. Same dosage rate, same % formulation.

Depending on the source (the store) of the chemical, it usually ranges between $65. and $85. per gallon of concentrate.

Running Arrow Bill":f1c26e61 said:
"Corid" is either a 5 day accelerated treatment or a 30 day treatment. "Corid" is a proprietary name.

"Amprolium" is the generic, chemical name. Same dosage rate, same % formulation.

Depending on the source (the store) of the chemical, it usually ranges between $65. and $85. per gallon of concentrate.

-OR-
you can purchase amprolium pellets for about 50 cents/lb. if memory serves me correctly, it takes 1/2 lb per 600 lb. bodyweight for 5 days.

ROB

I just lost one calf, approx. 250 lbs, to coccidiosis. Went yesterday and bought a 50 lb bag for 28.00. My calves or cows will not touch it. What to do now? Mixed it gradually but still turn their noses to it. :roll:

I lost a stocker once after the vet looked at it, the stress of being handled it had a seizure in the middle of the corral and died. Advanced cases it goes into blood than nervous system. I would give everyone Sulfa and probois +E and repeat in 3 days on day 5 start with ampro in feed at preventative dose .1 lb per 250 lbs by day 5 they'll be back on feed.. If its bad they won't eat and drink enough to medicate. Just because they look better and it's a pain to run them through again make sure to retreat, it takes 5 days not 3 that Sustain or Albon lasts. Still better than drenching them everyday for 5 days or even a couple and hope they then are drinking enough to treat themselves. IMHO