Treatment for Abcess?

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCK-N-W

Reaction score
What are some of the options I have for treating my cow with a large abscess that I can try before I end up having to lance and drain?
Are their any over the counter antibiotic's that might work like LA 200????? open to all suggestions.
I at first thought she had bottle neck a worm bag but I'm a rethinkink on abcess after I got her in the pens and head caught her.
If I can remember how to post a picture I will include later.

Before you lance,
Head gate her and open her mouth. check for something puncturing the mouth. Flush with a light tea solution of iodine and warm water. Watch your fingers. We have had best luck with the nose clasp thing and tied up ward.
next to find out if it is lumpy jaw, run both hands down each side of the jaw at the same time...place you hand in such a way as to cup both bones at the same time and run your hand along and feel if there is a difference in bone thinkness, you will have to apply pressure.. Hard to explaine but you want to test both sides at the same time to feel for swelling. If the bone is swollen it's lumpy jaw. Bad luck if it's in the bone and hard to treat...if it's in the bone there is little chance for recovery.
You want to lance the lump then find a soft spot cause that is where the puss would be.

Talk to your vet about treatment,. This could be swelling from a bug bite .

I had one just like that, but it was a calf...

7-5-08066.jpg

Abcess. I think it's an abcessed lymph node, but I'm not positive.

I lanced the one on the heifer above, flushed it with hydrogen peroxide, filled it with Twin Penn and gave a heavy dose of Twin Penn SC in the neck as well... good as new now. It'll take the body a few weeks to clean up the area with the extra tissue, but it does go away after lancing.

Oh -- and lancing it is your best option. The animal has walled off the infected area so it would make it very hard to get a high concentration of antibiotics in the area. Make sure there's a soft spot before you lance it -- I waited about 3 weeks on the calf I had before she was ready.

ROCK-N-W":iqc32dtz said:
What are some of the options I have for treating my cow with a large abscess that I can try before I end up having to lance and drain?
Are their any over the counter antibiotic's that might work like LA 200????? open to all suggestions.

No options. By definition, an abcess is a localized infection that the body has walled off in order to prevent it from spreading throughout the body. The same membrane that prevents the infection from becoming systemic will prevent antibiotics from penetrating the abcess wall.

Looks like lumpy jaw to me. See a vet. I forget the treatment, but I'm pretty sure it involved iodine. I guess kinda like a goiter in people.

That is a septic abcess thet we call a woody toungue knot. It will be in the soft tissue and have no bone involved. I have treated hundreds of them over the years. The puss pocket will be full of cream collored puss that will be of a smothe texture and it will have no smell to it at all.

My treatment: restrain cow in chute and tie head back using nose tongs. I cut the top half of the knot off( like cutting a baseball in half) and clean out all the puss and then trim the edges down till they meet the normal skin level. Rinse with iodine, I give 50cc of Oxcytec. in five injection sights in the neck. We have used this prosess on range cows that were treated and released and not doctored again. There will be a wound tract that will travel up into the mouth somewhere. That knot is caused by the cow eating a thorn or something like that, that got stuck in the soft tissue of the mouth and migrated out to where the lump is located.

If you only lance the thing, it will not stay clean when it heals and you can get a new abcess and it not be as easy to treat as the first one.

Paul T

Plan on getten er done tommorow morning, I don't have any nose clamps for the cow butt, I will just put her in my head shute and tie her head real good with my Larriet. She's not one of my crazy ones butt any one of um can go that way at any given time.
I think I will do it like I have in the past, just cut a incision a few inches long & drain it, clean it, check her mouth shoot her up again with some antiobotics in two weeks and hope for the best.
Thanks for the suggestions
I started her on Antibiotics ahead of time.

Sounds like you got it all planned out. Good luck to ya!

Thanks
I would take step by step pictures butt, I haven't fiqured out how to hold the scapel and my camera at the same time :lol2:
I checked my camera won't fit my Rifles tri-pod.

I found a volunteer to hold the camera and take some pictures, & for a Georgia Ass she did a pretty good Job. Although I did have to clean my lense after she tried to eat it. So lets take it from the top.

yummy..sorry i missed it paul....ill be sure to ride over for the next one....save some o that puss fer yer dope dealing nieghbors i hope!! :banana: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2:

Latest posts