treating hay fields??

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
I just came into about 35 acres (it's close to the house!) to mow for hay. It didn't get mowed last year and now it has some standing broom straw in it, and looks pretty poor right now. I was wondering if I should bush hog it down, mow it like it is and then top dress it in the fall, or go ahead and put the lime and fertilizer to it like it is now? After talking to some buddies they seem to agree that i should lime and fertilize it now and mow it whenever it's ready. I know it's gonna take a couple years to get the grass where it should be, but this is free hay land, that belongs to a buddy of mine's mother, so I ain't complaining! Your thoughts are appreciated.

I agree with your buddies. The first cutting will be pretty strange with the mix of junk in it, but after that it should be much better
If I;m going to bruch hog a feild to improve it I do it in the very late fall or real early winter so the stuff that is chopped up has a chance to rot down before I hay it the following year

Thanks Dun. Hey weren't you the one that had a link, In another post a while back, to a site that would figure acreage on fields?

killingtime":ylonxe5b said:
Thanks Dun. Hey weren't you the one that had a link, In another post a while back, to a site that would figure acreage on fields?
The only link I have is for MO

I have a question. My county agent told me that putting lime and fertilizer down at the same time was not a good idea because the lime and fertilizer tend to fight each other. One is acidic the other is alkaline. He said to lime 6 months before or after fertilizing. I have often heard of doing it both ways and wondered what your experiences are.

kenojoe":20mdv3zq said:
I have a question. My county agent told me that putting lime and fertilizer down at the same time was not a good idea because the lime and fertilizer tend to fight each other. One is acidic the other is alkaline. He said to lime 6 months before or after fertilizing. I have often heard of doing it both ways and wondered what your experiences are.

I prefer to lime in the fall simply because this is when I have the most extra money and since it takes lime such a long time to actually begin to work. That said, if the field needs lime I don't delay and have limed and fertilized the same week. Your extension guy is probably right but I don't think you would be able to notice any significant differences either way.

County agent here says lime, P, and K in the fall. If winter annuals are planted then top dress with N about half way to maturity.

No need to brush hog it if you have something that will cut it and do not need dairy quality hay.

I have never seen a fertilizer fight :eek:

Fertilizer timing is very mportant. N utilization and effect varies greatly due to time of year. Early spring will give you the most bang for the buck. Split applications for more than 50#/acre.

K&P utilization also varies somewhat due to time of year. Most folks apply after the first cutting with grass or alfalfa, and/or in the fall if they are worried about alfalfa overwintering.

Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and put the fertilizer to it and plan on liming it this fall. I'm going to cut and bale it as normal and hopefully it'll come back pretty good for the next cut. Thanks again.

kenojoe":3umzrye3 said:

I hope your agent is dead wrong. Lime leaches out of the hills here. 3 lime plants are nearby. There's something like 200 feet of limestone layers 30 feet down under my pastures.

Latest posts