Treating a cow with an ovarian cyst

Help Support CattleToday:

Katpau

Reaction score
I would like to hear the protocols of others when treating a cow with a cystic ovary.

Last fall I purchased a couple cow/calf pairs in a partial dispersal from a large well-known Angus breeder. I had an employee of that ranch bid for me. I had selected a number of cows I liked based on videos and data and told him the maximum I was willing to pay. One of the cows he selected turned out to be a former donor cow. She produced one son that was sold to a major stud although he never made it into the line-up after a stifle injury on the way to the stud. I am not sure I would have been willing to bid on her had I known she was flushed for several years. She had a fall heifer on her, but I spring calve, so I left her open all winter which was perhaps a mistake. She was already too fat, in my opinion, when she was delivered and she has not lost weight although she is only on grass.

In May we synchronized her and bred her AI. She was the only cow this year that did not show heat after synchronization. We then put her with a bull for two months from mid-May until mid-July. About three days after we pulled the bull, I saw her in heat for the first time. I've seen her jumping other cows several times since. We preg checked the herd a couple days ago and the vet said she had a cyst. He had other appointments he had to get to, but he said something about giving her a shot and breeding her in a few days when she should be in heat. I thought he said Lutalayse, but I looked on-line and called another guy for advice and the consensus was to give her Cystorelin followed by Lutalayse in 10 days. I gave her the GnRH, but when my Vet called me that evening, he said he had actually popped the cyst and the GnRH was unnecessary.

If this were any other cow, she'd be on the truck with the other opens, but I hate to give up. I would really like at least one more calf. Her heifer did not settle either, but I knew that was a possibility since she just turned one. I'm considering one more try AI even though that means another fall calf.

The Vet already suggested breeding her AI on her next heat. I doubt this is heritable. My own research tells me it is one of the risks of super ovulation and flushing.

My Vet is a great guy and a good friend, but he is over the normal age of retirement and I know for a fact he does not always keep up on the latest information in AI, even though he AI's the top end of his own cows. He now only treats the livestock of long term customers and lets the younger Vets in his practice do most of the others. I could ask one of them, but they are pretty young and are primarily dog and cat Vets. I was hoping for some advice from someone that has dealt with this.

While I 100% agree with Caustic and culling might be my best option, I am determined to get at least one calf out of her. I think most would agree that when you spend a fair amount for what you thought would be superior genetics, it is not as easy to cull. Right or wrong she is getting another chance. As far as her daughter is concerned, I probably should not have tried getting her pregnant at such a young age. I waited until she was almost a year old before putting her in with the bull and the rest of the herd. She had barely 3 weeks before the bull was pulled. While I have had the misfortune of having a calf cycle and breed as young as 4 months old, I understand it is not unusual for a heifer to begin cycling at 14 months. I observed her in heat after pulling the bull. She was 13 months. I will put her with the bulls next year when I breed the rest of the herd in mid-May.

From my understanding of what the vet told me is if she comes into heat she can be bred as the cyst is inactive. When the cyst is active she won't come into heat. This is what fooled me as i thought mine was in calf after breeding but it was the cyst was active. We gave her a shot a progesterone and bred her a few days later when she came into heat and she stuck. I culled her after that. I usually try to figure things like this out for the experience rather than culling straight off. She was culled after weaning the calf.

Redgully said:
From my understanding of what the vet told me is if she comes into heat she can be bred as the cyst is inactive. When the cyst is active she won't come into heat. This is what fooled me as i thought mine was in calf after breeding but it was the cyst was active. We gave her a shot a progesterone and bred her a few days later when she came into heat and she stuck. I culled her after that. I usually try to figure things like this out for the experience rather than culling straight off. She was culled after weaning the calf.
Hey Red, I take it you mean Prostaglandin, not Progesterone?????

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Redgully said:

Ken

Yeah you're right, nice pick up. I can't even think up a good excuse!

I would like to hear the protocols of others when treating a cow with a cystic ovary.
I've had a couple over the years and did as CB suggested. May have been a fluke but I'm a firm believer in ruthless culling regardless of the cause with the only exceptions being a major screw up of mgt procedures.
I think most would agree that when you spend a fair amount for what you thought would be superior genetics, it is not as easy to cull. [/quote
IMO that philosophy appears rife in the seed stock industry and it appears more than a few are happy to propagate the consequences. Commercial producers are far less tolerant.
Last fall I purchased a couple cow/calf pairs in a partial dispersal from a large well-known Angus breeder. I had an employee of that ranch bid for me. I had selected a number of cows I liked based on videos and data and told him the maximum I was willing to pay. One of the cows he selected turned out to be a former donor cow. She produced one son that was sold to a major stud although he never made it into the line-up after a stifle injury on the way to the stud. I am not sure I would have been willing to bid on her had I known she was flushed for several years.
Did they not divulge her production record history?

Redgully said:
wbvs58 said:
Redgully said:

Ken

Yeah you're right, nice pick up. I can't even think up a good excuse!
No excuse needed Red, just something we do with similar words. I just Mentioned it for clarity for people reading it.

Ken

Redgully said:
I read that with a lutein cyst they will not come into heat, but with a follicular cyst they will be in constant heat. This cow did not show heat when synchronized but I gave her a shot of GnRH and bred anyway based on the protocol. I usually have a few not show heat and maybe half of those still settle. She did not show heat again until the bull was pulled and then I saw her in several times over a fairly short period. I'm not sure what that means.

76 Bar said:
Did they not divulge her production record history?
No they did not. I did not attend the auction. I gave them a list of acceptable animals based on videos and what I knew about production. I had them pick out and bid on the cows. I told them fertility and disposition were very important to me and hoped that they would know better than I which cows would be acceptable. I don't suppose they would know she might develop a cyst, so I can't really blame them. I maybe should have said no cows that have been flushed, but it wasn't something I was expecting to be a factor.

I am a strictly commercial breeder, although I do have a number of registered Angus cows. I have culled plenty of cows for being open including ones that I had very high hopes for. Last year I had to cull a yearling heifer that was the result of a 3 generation plan.She was the fastest growing and best looking heifer of 2018, but she failed to settle. I have culled more than a few cows that had attained Pathfinder status for the same reason. I am not usually one to give a cow a second chance. I am fully aware that this may be a mistake, but this cow was purchased with hopes of her producing a bull for my own use. The seed-stock producer I bought her from seldom sells a bull for under $5000 and I was told this was an exceptional cow. I am still hoping to get at least one bull out of her. I'm not saying that is smart, but I think we all have our dumb moments when making decisions about who should be culled. Last year I was short on room in the trailer when shipping culls, so I kept one of my old bred cows only to have her die on me a few weeks ago. I did get one last calf, but now I won't have a check for her.

Sorry the cow has been a challenge to get bred and hope you can get her back on track in short order. It appears you were very clear about your priorities. IMO the seller should have been more forthright about her breeding history and especially that she'd been flushed a number of times. Unfortunately honesty isn't particularly rampant in the seed stock world. The old adage buyer beware comes to mind. Likely water under the bridge now but I would contact the seller, document what has transpired & let him know the transaction has thus far proven less than satisfactory. Lots between the lip and cup but reputable breeders will make an effort to make you reasonably happy.

Thanks, I did place a call with hopes of discussing the situation and got a text back saying "Sorry can't talk now". I then responded to the text saying I wanted to discuss cystic ovaries and got a text back from the owner that said his sister just died. I figure my problems are small compared to that, so I may not bother them again.

Katpau said:
Thanks, I did place a call with hopes of discussing the situation and got a text back saying "Sorry can't talk now". I then responded to the text saying I wanted to discuss cystic ovaries and got a text back from the owner that said his sister just died. I figure my problems are small compared to that, so I may not bother them again.

I'm not saying he is pulling the wool but my dad used to say that to people when he got nuisance calls.

I found a brief obituary in their local paper, so I know it is true. It did not say how she passed, but she was posting on facebook only days before, so I suspect it may have been sudden. They will be having a bull and female sale this fall. I will give it some time and talk to him then.