treated lumber vs. staples

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Someone just told me not to use regular staples on the "new treated lumber" but rather use their stainless steel staples. He's trying to sell me his staple gun and he sells both regular and stainless.

Why not use galvanized staples on "new" treated lumber?

Which new treated lumber? The cooper or the silicate?

Stainless steel is much more expensive, are your sure that they aren't just trying to sell you something???

I'm a hobby woodworker, and I havn't heard of this. Doesn't mean it's not true, but in over 15 years of woodworking I haven't heard of this one.

Newer treated is hard on fasteners. Get hot-dipped galvanized or stainless. If you go galvanized, make sure is is hot-dipped. Other application methods don't cut it.

The new treated lumber has such a high copper level it will eat through metal in a few years. Thats why stainless steel is recomended. Or hot dipped galv. If you have a lowes close by, they have a whole section of supplies to use on this new lumber.

The new treated lumber is known as ACQ treated. The chemical ingredient in the lumber is more corrosive than the older type that contained arsenic. My company manufactures nails that are used in Power Actuated Tools (tools that use a .22 or .27 caliber power load to fire nails through concrete and steel). We had to upgrade our mechanical zinc coating from a class 8 to a class 50 (.002 thick) in order to meet with the corrosion resistance level of the ACQ lumber. Stainless steel of course will work but is more expensive. Make sure that the box of staples or fasteners states that the product is ACQ compatible before using it. Especially if it will be bearing much of a load or will compromise safety.

jkwilson - mechanical zinc plating will cut it. Class 50 plating standard has been approved by the ICCES regulating body as well as the LA and Miami Dade regulating body. It has exceeded all of their testing. ICCES is the most stringent independent testing body for fasteners worldwide.

dj, interesting read. This would be great for us if it takes off in the market. We were forced to upgrade the zinc coating without increasing the price of the product. We could reduce back to a class 8 coating and make a better margin. Thanks for attaching the link.

Fence posts are still treated with CCA, the old arsenical treatment that's not very corrosive. Are you sure your posts are ACQ treated? I doubt it.
gabby

Latest posts