Treat ringworm with bleach

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
We got ringworm bad. Real bad. One vet said captan fungicide. Another told my buddy diluted bleach. Anyone use bleach. Easier to get and a lot cheaper. 30% diluted. The guy using bleach has national show cattle and he swears by it. Super high end brahma. Seems harsh but works. Idk. Input?

dieselbeef":jj2v4566 said:
We got ringworm bad. Real bad. One vet said captan fungicide. Another told my buddy diluted bleach. Anyone use bleach. Easier to get and a lot cheaper. 30% diluted. The guy using bleach has national show cattle and he swears by it. Super high end brahma. Seems harsh but works. Idk. Input?
Diluted bleach 10% in feeding bedding areas.
Food grade iodine mixed to instruction on their feed and ringworm is gone.
I will look when I go to the man cave what the instructions say.

they do have it avail in free chice mineral and in mineral lick blocks. but I feed pure salt without iodine. could they not be getting enough?

dieselbeef":1bqqnt17 said:
they do have it avail in free chice mineral and in mineral lick blocks. but I feed pure salt without iodine. could they not be getting enough?

Cows are funny creatures just because they have minerals available doesn't mean they are consuming.
I feed the iodine mixed in a range meal
get it blended at the mill per instructions when I supplement in the winter. Haven't had ringworm or foot rot in this swamp for years.

I don't have the option to mix...but I can buy it bagged and put it out with the salt..they go tru salt pretty steady. I try to give enough options for them to ingest minerals much as possible..i know they don't always eat it...stupid cows..wont take their vitamins

thanks..due to time constraints I did the bleach deal. 2 gal bleach in 5 gals of water..wasn't too strong but smellable. cows didn't really like it but didn't go nuts so it was good. and I didn't rain..i hosed the real bad one real good so hoping for some good results when I get em again for another rd....50% this time tho

We have run the calves through the chute, take a curry comb and scuff up the ringworm and get as much scaly stuff off then spray iodine right on it. Have also used plain old vaseline on the scuffed up spots and it smothers the stuff. Someone also told me about the diluted bleach. One guy uses hydrogen peroxide....sprayed on the ringworm spots.
We were told by an old vet that the lack of iodine seems to cause it to show up more often.
We use only trace mineral blocks of salt in the mineral feeders with the loose mineral. And with the pinkeye problems also put out the yellow sulfur salt blocks. Another old vet said that he really believes in the sulfur helping. So they have 2 salt blocks and loose trace mineral in the feeders. Cover all our bases and the trace salt blocks aren't that much more than the plain white.

Latest posts