Traveling With Cattle Question

Help Support CattleToday:

TagandKiss

Reaction score
Ok time for me to pick your brains again lol. For those who travel far away to get their cattle, how do you do it? do you stop so often to walk them around? and when you have to stay the night somewhere you ever worry about someone taking them. I just curios on how you do it. thanks for the information :D

Bloat is your biggest problem. Just have an area (trailer) large enough for them to move or lay down in. Stack it deep with lots of hay. Shavings tend to blow around and get in their eyes. I have hauled cattle straight through about 12 to 14 hrs. with minimal stops. No prolems with bloat or pnuemonia. Always good to hit and animal with LA200 (injectable) or the TSV-22 (nasal). Of course Age of calf and time of year make a big difference. Some cattle haulers even haul cattle over 20 hrs. with minimal stops. If you have show haltered animals then you could do a 30 min. to an hour stop and walk them around some. Try calling ranchers who live near the route. They will sometimes let you corral animals overnight while you are on your way. So, you could drive "x" hours, then stop, keep them overnight, then load and go in the morning. Plus you get to visit an operation and the people while you're at it.. :)

If the cattle aren't stuffed in the trailer, you shouldn't have to stop for anything, unless you want to water them on the way. But unless it's unusually hot, I wouldn't even worry about that. Most of the time they won't drink "strange" water anyway.

Like mentioned earlier, put them in a good bed of hay, and they should be fine. If you can section off individual animals so they won't fight or push each other, better yet.

I cant remember, but I think that by law your required to stop for at least 30 minutes every 20 hours of traveling. Other than that, nothing I cant help you with on the topic. Most Ive gone is 5 hours with no stops.

had mine trucked from north central pa to north central mo. they just rolled straight thru. if i remember right they said if you went 22 hrs you had to stop somewhere for 3 or 4 hrs for feed & water

It very well could be 22 hours and 3-4 hours, I briefly remembered a little about it from Ag class a year or so ago. I dont know if it varies from state to state or is it a USDA law?

We've hauled cattle from Idaho to Utah, both directions, on many occasions. It's a minimum 8 hour drive in a car - about 10-11 hours when hauling. We usually stop for a meal or two and try to park the trailer in shade. The trailer is deeply bedded with straw and the cattle tend to lie down and rest nearly all of the trip. I think parking for a little while gives the cattle time to rest without the motion of the trailer, which is nice, but not absolutely necessary. We have driven straight through more than once, with only gas & fast food stops, and the cattle did great. As much as we try to avoid giving antibiotics, we do give a shot of antibiotic before a long trip.

We've hauled cattle to Jackson, Mississippi before. It is usually about 8hrs could be 9 hrs. We've also hauled to Iowa and i think that is around 12hrs. We usually have the trailer pretty well full, so we just haul on through. We've never had any problems with the cattle in the trailer. They just seem ready to be out and the trailer and get something to eat and drink whenever we get there.

Ryan

I had cattle trucked from Texas to Vermont a couple of times. We used Lathrop Livestock Transportation http://www.lathroptrucking.com/. Real happy with the condition of the cattle on arrival. The driver knew cattle and was really good with them. I would use them again.
Steve

You're right - Lathrop is a great trucker.
As far as worrying about someone stealing them. If we stop for any lenth of time, we have a lock on the doors. Biggest thing is the "tree huggers" may want to "set them free". Happened to our daughter - well they were trying to let them out, when family arrived back to the trailer - but it was locked - thank goodness.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":rfmnrz0a said:
You're right - Lathrop is a great trucker.
As far as worrying about someone stealing them. If we stop for any lenth of time, we have a lock on the doors. Biggest thing is the "tree huggers" may want to "set them free". Happened to our daughter - well they were trying to let them out, when family arrived back to the trailer - but it was locked - thank goodness.

Glad your daughter's not in jail so you can tell about it so calmly. The grand jury must have no-billed the whole family after they shot the thieves – ha.

Craig-TX

Lathrop hauled our cattle from Illinois to Texas. We weren't quite so pleased.

I was already here in Texas, so hubby loaded out the second trailer in the morning. They had a team driving, and left the ranch after loading.. supposedly on their way.

Hubby and friends that helped load went to lunch in town. Came back to the farm, had to disassemble the chute and load it in the stock trailer, then had to capture the bull, and one cow that had jumped the fence when they were trying to load her in the pot trailer. Finally got on the road FIVE HOURS after they had left with the cattle truck. Made it to the ranch two hours before Lathrop showed up. Then they nearly dumped the trailer trying to get it in the driveway.

I'm sure the team that drove the second rig down is no longer hauling for them. I know they are well known and respected.. one of those things.

I remeber most of the steer jocks leaving early for the show. Like a week incase any thing does happen. That a way they can get the aniumal back in shape or a s close as they can. If you can use soem mild seditive it has helped out. Check your rules on the show.

Scotty

Linda":feb83tq3 said:
We've hauled cattle from Idaho to Utah, both directions, on many occasions. It's a minimum 8 hour drive in a car - about 10-11 hours when hauling. We usually stop for a meal or two and try to park the trailer in shade. The trailer is deeply bedded with straw and the cattle tend to lie down and rest nearly all of the trip. I think parking for a little while gives the cattle time to rest without the motion of the trailer, which is nice, but not absolutely necessary. We have driven straight through more than once, with only gas & fast food stops, and the cattle did great. As much as we try to avoid giving antibiotics, we do give a shot of antibiotic before a long trip.

yea for the cattle i looking into getting longhorns the closes place i found are idaho and utah. My grandpa love to drive he can make it from here(tri-cities wa) to yuma az(on the mexico border). in a day n half. thats 1245 miles 0-0 he one of those go go go go type of people. he would mostly like be the one driving

thanks you all for the information. :)

Latest posts