Trask 4013

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
Jan 09 Hereford World has an ad on page 89 for Dillard Polled Herefords of Waco, GA; featuring this bull. He looks pretty good to me, and I know that Trask cattle were known for their easy doing on grass only. I've been told that he dipped heavily into the Anxiety 4th genepool when developing them.

Trying to stir up a little activity on the board here...opinions?

Randy Owen (TRM) owns a bunch of the Trask cattle with University of Clemson. I have seen a few of those Trask females (most of them Trask x TRM Missle) in his last two sales. They look like real good bomb proof commercial type moderate framed Hereford cows that should bring in a calf in just about any conditions. I saw the ad, and really liked what I saw of the bull, but that is all I know of him.

I saw that ad too. The picture isn't very good to me to really see what he looks like. I will look into the bull. I need some data on his calves, his mother and grandmother and on his daughters or at least half sisters. Since I really don't know the people promoting him, I will have to check them out too.

Brian

IMG_0532_1.jpg

There you go Knersie

Tim Ohlde has some Trask cows that he got from Randy Owen. They are very nice moderate herefords with good udders. I brought home a baldy bull last April from there for my neighbor that was sired by prototype and out of one of those cows. He wanted him to put some white on the faces of his predominately angus calves.

I don't know if they are related to the aforementioned bull, but I was impressed by them.

I was going to look up the pedigree, but the AHA database is "currently unavailable", which means new epds will be out soon. The Trask cattle were a polled line of Herefords. They descended from a son of Mossy Plato 26 and were linebred to him. The King Dominos and the Victor Dominos also descended from a son and grandson of Mossy Plato 26 and were linebred to that descendent. Trask did bring in some horned genetics from time to time, which made the line attractive to some of the Horned Hereford breeders. A BIG ASSET TO THE TRASK CATTLE WAS HE RAN THEM ON FESCUE AND THEY WERE GENETICALLY SELECTED TO RESIST FESCUE POISONING. In late years Trask also brought in some Prospectors through the Felton cattle. You would have to do a search on TRASK 4013's pedigree to see what was brought in on this particular bull. Some of the Trask bulls were pretty solidly linebred to the Mossy Plato 26 son, and I can't remember that bulls name.....may have been a Rupert or something. I also understand that Trask was a bit of a character, which isn't unusual for men who have chosen a path different from most others.

...I also understand that Trask was a bit of a character, which isn't unusual for men who have chosen a path different from most others.
This "quotation", for some reason not known to me, seems very familiar! :roll: I have heard those words many times during my life. I can't imagine why! :???: :?

DOC HARRIS

alexfarms":1j69mepu said:
I was going to look up the pedigree, but the AHA database is "currently unavailable", which means new epds will be out soon. The Trask cattle were a polled line of Herefords. They descended from a son of Mossy Plato 26 and were linebred to him. The King Dominos and the Victor Dominos also descended from a son and grandson of Mossy Plato 26 and were linebred to that descendent. Trask did bring in some horned genetics from time to time, which made the line attractive to some of the Horned Hereford breeders. A BIG ASSET TO THE TRASK CATTLE WAS HE RAN THEM ON FESCUE AND THEY WERE GENETICALLY SELECTED TO RESIST FESCUE POISONING. In late years Trask also brought in some Prospectors through the Felton cattle. You would have to do a search on TRASK 4013's pedigree to see what was brought in on this particular bull. Some of the Trask bulls were pretty solidly linebred to the Mossy Plato 26 son, and I can't remember that bulls name.....may have been a Rupert or something. I also understand that Trask was a bit of a character, which isn't unusual for men who have chosen a path different from most others.

I think it was Rupert Tone

KNERSIE":1vedc925 said:
alexfarms":1vedc925 said:

I think it was Rupert Tone

If it was indeed Rupert Tone, then that would indicate beyond doubt that the son was Hazlett influenced, which would bring in another horned line. That would lead me to speculate that 26 may have been bred to a Hazlett cow to produce the mentioned son. In fact even the name Rupert without the name Tone attached likely would mean the same situation. I have seen the Rupert name in the pedigrees of some other Trask influenced cattle.

Jim Lents told me that Trask dipped into the Anxiety 4th genepool several times, if I remember the conversation correctly.

greenwillowhereford II":2pzl76qx said:
Jim Lents told me that Trask dipped into the Anxiety 4th genepool several times, if I remember the conversation correctly.

Don't all American Herefords dip into Anxiety the 4th almost 100 % of the time?

HerefordSire":2d0g9586 said:
greenwillowhereford II":2d0g9586 said:

Looking at the greater genepool I think you'll struggle to find one not going back to Anxiety 4th, the Anxiety 4th genepool as Tom is referring to had been greatly diluted since the time Neil Trask incorporated it into his herd. At the time there was thousands of linebred Anxiety 4th herds

KNERSIE":h5x954du said:
HerefordSire":h5x954du said:
greenwillowhereford II":h5x954du said:

Looking at the greater genepool I think you'll struggle to find one not going back to Anxiety 4th, the Anxiety 4th genepool as Tom is referring to had been greatly diluted since the time Neil Trask incorporated it into his herd. At the time there was thousands of linebred Anxiety 4th herds

That is my point....the odds are the genes can't be diluted...unless imported outside of Anxiety.

HerefordSire":3l6csivh said:
KNERSIE":3l6csivh said:
HerefordSire":3l6csivh said:

That is my point....the odds are the genes can't be diluted...unless imported outside of Anxiety.

The problem being if you don't keep the genes up close you start to lose the impact of some of the great sires. Since the days that linebred Anxiety 4th cattle was the norm, alot of outside blood has been brought in via Canada, Australia and Nieu Zeeland and the other herds went to outcrossing chasing the Continentals.

All that Anxiety 4th is now is a influential sire of yesteryear, don't think you can still call him the fountainhead of USA Herefords anymore.

If I had direct tabular access to the AHA database, I could write some computer code to tell us exactly. Until they open the database up, we are only speculating, unless someone is willing to copy millions of records and enter them in a database. This is a case of an political organization deterring growth. It appears it would be better to shrink the Hereford population and not release important patterns in the database so as to create instability in the owners controlling negative animals.

Trask was developing a polled line of cattle. What Jim was referring to was that he kept going back to the LINEBRED ANXIETY 4TH BULLS from time to time to keep the particular level of influence of their prepotency and body type in play in his herd.

HS, if you think that all U.S. Herefords are the same as linebred Anxiety 4th, you need to take a visit to the Lents operation.

I am referring to the source genes. Consider Adam as in Adam and Eve which Jim Lents refers to in his book. If you believe this story, all human genes are derived from Adam no matter how much the Jewish race was linebred, which he also describes in depth. Likewise, most American Hereford genes are derived from Anxiety the 4th (the principal American branch) no matter how many times they are linebred unless they were imported around Anxiety the 4th. I believe Knersie is saying, there are many Hereford genes in America not derived from Anxiety the 4th, at least much more than there was long ago, which is reasonable. I am saying we don't know for sure the percentages, which in my opinion is another handicap we shouldn't have to deal with. We are just guessing (craps game) based upon visual appearance and production, etc. when the prohibited information is there under political control.

HerefordSire":1mi80r5e said:
I am referring to the source genes. Consider Adam as in Adam and Eve which Jim Lents refers to in his book. If you believe this story, all human genes are derived from Adam no matter how much the Jewish race was linebred, which he also describes in depth. Likewise, most American Hereford genes are derived from Anxiety the 4th (the principal American branch) no matter how many times they are linebred unless they were imported around Anxiety the 4th. I believe Knersie is saying, there are many Hereford genes in America not derived from Anxiety the 4th, at least much more than there was long ago, which is reasonable. I am saying we don't know for sure the percentages, which in my opinion is another handicap we shouldn't have to deal with. We are just guessing (craps game) based upon visual appearance and production, etc. when the prohibited information is there under political control.

A similar comparison would be the fact that all the breeds of cattle at some point in time descended from an original ancestor, but that doesn't make them all similar now. There is a lot of difference between a Highland and a Hereford, or a Longhorn and an Angus, or a Holstein and a Charolais.

I agree. We are referring to branches of a tree. When you wrote the Trask branch was refreshed with another wave of close Anxiey the 4th genes, I believe this was another way of saying Trask wasted time with prior crosses or genetic combinations, or even temporarily failed, since his orginal genes also came from Anxiety the 4th.

Latest posts