Trashing the home phone.

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":tvwl6055 said:
I don't really care either way, the wife is the one pushing to get rid of the house phone and I just can't see the $50/month or so she pays for it for as little as we use it.

I figure all my bills the same way. At the end of the year, when doing end of the year paperwork, I see what my total income for the year is. I then take the total spent for each item and see what percentage of my total income was spent for that item. As in the phone bill, I was easily spending $1300.00 a year on something that had absolutely no return, other than convenience. When you figure your bills on a monthly basis, it doesn't seem like that much, but multiply it by twelve and it gets scary.

cfpinz":3iitslsr said:
Does directTV still use the home line for anything?

I THINK YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE PHONE CONNECTION IF YOU ORDER MOVIES AAND SPECIAL PROGRAMMING WHICH WE DO NOT DO.

DIRECT CONVINCED THE WIFE THAT WE HAD TO BE HOOKED TO THE PHONE LINE.

BUT SINCE WE GOT RID OF EVERYTHING BUT BASIC PHONE THE LAND LINE PHONE BILL IS BEARABLE.

We dropped down to just basic no caller id or long distance for 8.10 a month with AT&T by the time taxes and other fees it is 20.00.

We have just basic service on the landline we've had for years and have it forwarded to the cell phones. Don't want to give up the landline number but just keep it for emergencies and incoming calls. Outgoing calls are all on the cells.

The cell phone is not immune from telmarketing calls however. I am starting to get telemarketing calls on my cell phone.

SRBeef":1agvffib said:
We have just basic service on the landline we've had for years and have it forwarded to the cell phones. Don't want to give up the landline number but just keep it for emergencies and incoming calls. Outgoing calls are all on the cells.

The cell phone is not immune from telmarketing calls however. I am starting to get telemarketing calls on my cell phone.
Most likely coming in from the landline number since you have it forwarded. When I get one I simply hang up and then save that number to the ignore list.

You may need to re-register your numbers on the "don't call list".

cfpinz":20j73m9e said:
I don't really care either way, the wife is the one pushing to get rid of the house phone and I just can't see the $50/month or so she pays for it for as little as we use it. She's such a nice person she gets calls all the time wanting animal advice, if she'd get over that nice person crap the problem would be solved.

Anyone know if the phone company will post your cell phone # in the book for you?

Can't answer your question, but I seem to have a knack for making a woman stop being nice, if that'll help you out.

Larry

larryshoat":2hl4m1av said:
cfpinz":2hl4m1av said:
I don't really care either way, the wife is the one pushing to get rid of the house phone and I just can't see the $50/month or so she pays for it for as little as we use it. She's such a nice person she gets calls all the time wanting animal advice, if she'd get over that nice person crap the problem would be solved.

Anyone know if the phone company will post your cell phone # in the book for you?

Can't answer your question, but I seem to have a knack for making a woman stop being nice, if that'll help you out.

Larry

What's your secret, a gold band?

cfpinz":3t8of99m said:
larryshoat":3t8of99m said:
cfpinz":3t8of99m said:

Larry

What's your secret, a gold band?

Yes, wedding cake, followed by dirty boots on a clean floor, works every time.

Larry

We keep our land line for emergency purposes. I have a friend who is a 911 operator. I was thinking the same thing about canceling our landline. She told me not to. If you dial 911 from a cell phone and are unable to tell the operator your location - good luck. They may or may not find you in a timely manner. They have to find your location from the cell phone towers.

With a land line, they have your physical address when you call.

Many years ago, we had a phone with a 911 speed dial. I hit the button by accident and hung up immediately. Wasn't long before a sheriff showed up at our gate to make sure that everything was OK.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/911-cant-always-locate-cell-phones

I thought about getting rid of ours too, but cell phone coverage out here is not reliable, and sometimes I do get Long distance calls from my brothers/sister, so i figure the $40 a month is worth it.

GMN

chippie said:
We keep our land line for emergency purposes. I have a friend who is a 911 operator. I was thinking the same thing about canceling our landline. She told me not to. If you dial 911 from a cell phone and are unable to tell the operator your location - good luck.
we don't have 911 service so that isn't a factor

quote]
Physical addresses don't work here either
you have to give a rd# and then give them directions to your house the county has nothing to do with addresses our contract mailman gives us one and they aren't recorded by the county
is pretty bad when the sherriff stops you and asks where such and such address is

Angus Cowman":1ukl76gs said:
chippie":1ukl76gs said:
We keep our land line for emergency purposes. I have a friend who is a 911 operator. I was thinking the same thing about canceling our landline. She told me not to. If you dial 911 from a cell phone and are unable to tell the operator your location - good luck.
we don't have 911 service so that isn't a factor

quote]
Physical addresses don't work here either
you have to give a rd# and then give them directions to your house the county has nothing to do with addresses our contract mailman gives us one and they aren't recorded by the county
is pretty bad when the sherriff stops you and asks where such and such address is
Some countys changed the address and sreeet/road naming deal a while back just to be able to work with 911. It works in Laclede county and most of Camden, not sure about the others around here

dun":2zl6dv9c said:
Some countys changed the address and sreeet/road naming deal a while back just to be able to work with 911. It works in Laclede county and most of Camden, not sure about the others around here
Webster and Christian did it several yrs ago but you get east and south and very few counties have 911
Texas,Douglas,Wright and several others don't have 911 and probably won't for several yrs as it is expensive to set up and operate and these more rural counties don't have the funds

dun":3glagd8f said:
That's what they did here also. I think they called it E-911, or Enhanced-911. Most everyone in the county got a new address. Towns with similar street names like Main, Oak, First, Roosevelt, etc., had to make changes so that there was only one Main Street in the county, etc. Unnamed roads (driveways) mostly were named for whomever lived at the end of them. The 1st year or two, they kept finding duplications and omissions and had to redo parts. We are on our 3rd 911 address but it has been the same for the last 10 years or so. I think they passed a percentage sales tax issue to finance it here.

fit2btied":1nmdrihi said:
dun":1nmdrihi said:
That's what they did here also. I think they called it E-911, or Enhanced-911. Most everyone in the county got a new address. Towns with similar street names like Main, Oak, First, Roosevelt, etc., had to make changes so that there was only one Main Street in the county, etc. Unnamed roads (driveways) mostly were named for whomever lived at the end of them. The 1st year or two, they kept finding duplications and omissions and had to redo parts. We are on our 3rd 911 address but it has been the same for the last 10 years or so. I think they passed a percentage sales tax issue to finance it here.
Heck our county won't even pass a tax for a new jail so I would say in a yr or so that a judge will come in and close it down then the county will really figure out what it is to have to pay for out of county incarceration and all the drug dealers and petty thieves will be back out on the street doing what they want

Latest posts