Trapping

Help Support CattleToday:

Most any thing that is unusual for them will attract them. One time I went down to the beach on the Puget Sound. Turned over rocks and gathered up two gallons of little rock crabs. Little ones about the size of a quarter. Put them in the freezer. Several weeks later I used them fresh frozen for coyote bait while trapping in the northeast corner of the state 300 miles from salt water. They worked like a charm.

denoginnizer":11ae4gv9 said:
backhoeboogie":11ae4gv9 said:
denoginnizer":11ae4gv9 said:
I am still looking for info on trapping coyotes. Any advice on how to catch them? Like what kinda bait and trap

The best all around bait I ever found was house cat urine. Just a bit of it. We kept it in a mason jar. We'd get a dry cow pie and break it up. Take a piece of it in a pair of channel locks and dip an edge in the urine. Put that behind the trap and anything that comes along wants a better whiff. Not much different than dogs sniffing a fire hydrant or car tire. Housecats normally bury their urine so it is a strange situation for animals to encounter. They get curious. Works great for coons, fox, bobcat and occasional yotes. There were not so many yotes back then.

Edit: Forgot to say that it lasts for a few days too. I can't tell you how many because we usually caught something each night but I have had traps set for three days baited and catch something.
I been follorin the house cat all day trying to get him to pee in the mason jar but no luck. How did you teach yours?

Put them in cages. Put tin underneath. Place gutter with strainer at the end of the tin slope.

You do not want it mixed with water so have it so they can get water outside of the tin. Wire their food pan and water in the front 8 or 9 inches of the cage. They'll move away from the food and water to go.

Or you can just buy it.

One of my uncles was a gubment trapper for years. He's got lots of stories that would make you bust a gut. He was the one who put me on to urine lures probably around '72 or so.