Trapping weird white rodent.

Help Support CattleToday:

OwnedByTheCow

Reaction score
We have had a white little critter running around our grain shed. It is white, I think it is a rat but I've never seen a white wild rat before. I need to trap it but don't know what to use.

They have live traps for sale at tractor supply and many different feed stores. Maybe it is a kitten or a rabbit?

Most breeds of rat will have some white(ish) ones mixed in, recessive coloration gene.
Victor makes a good snap trap. Get one with a big pan on it, and set it where you saw it running, or any of the nailers leading to the feed.

Mr. White Rat, I have a writ here that says you are to stop eating OwnedbytheCow's grain and vacate his grain shed forthwith. Now, It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of same! POW!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing Artesiansprings.. We have had a couple of them around here once in a while.

Same live rat trap works for them, bait with cat food, and try to keep your cats out of it. They're usually about a 6x6x18" mesh box with a springloaded door.. we catch about 50 packrats a year with them, and one or two weasel... and a stray cat once.
If you don't have hens, I don't think weasels would be too much of a problem for you, they are excellent mousers.. I'll have to find my picture of one

greybeard":2ztgk1uh said:
Mr. White Rat, I have a writ here that says you are to stop eating OwnedbytheCow's grain and vacate his grain shed forthwith. Now, It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of same! POW!!

Rooster Cogburn Truegrit.

Maybe its a domesticated rat that someone has set free, or he set himself free.
We live in the middle of nowhere. My father in law called me one day saying he had some weird animals in his garage. When i got down there, sure enough, there were 2 large rodent in his garage. I told him, "Thats a pair of hooters." He looked at me confused and said, "I've never seen hooters that looked like rats."
When i was a kid, the black and white rats were called Hooters. That was before the word hooters was changed to what we know it for now, kind of like the word gay. But, the black and white rats to me are hooters. We have no idea how they got there. I'm guessing someone got tired of taking care of them and took them to the country and set them free. I dont remember what happened to them, i dont thing we were able to catch them.
Anywho, if you catch it let us know what the heck it is..

Latest posts