Trapping Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score
Any of y'all try trapping coyotes? Was wondering what you use to attract them like a scent and what you put in the cage for bait?

baby lamb .. baby goat..

you can use one of those electronic callers.. they work pretty well.

uncooked chicken..

Pretty tall order to get a coyote to walk into a live trap. Snares are by far the most effective, but they are also effective on the neighbors dogs and aren't always legal. I like a foothold in a good dirt hole set with a little bobcat meat and a good lure. You get one chance to catch a coyote. If you miss him, he's educated for life. I've got trail cam video of a coyote that circled one of my sets for three nights before he walked in.
They are by far the most challenging critter to catch, IMHO.

Farm Fence Solutions":332kqjvf said:
Pretty tall order to get a coyote to walk into a live trap. Snares are by far the most effective, but they are also effective on the neighbors dogs and aren't always legal. I like a foothold in a good dirt hole set with a little bobcat meat and a good lure. You get one chance to catch a coyote. If you miss him, he's educated for life. I've got trail cam video of a coyote that circled one of my sets for three nights before he walked in.

Coyote is smarter than most people trying to trap them. That is like calling you get one chance that dog won't be back if you blow it.
Most effective way calling over here I have found is 15 ladder stand buckshot and decoy in this thicket.
This is one of my favorite calling spots.

Caustic Burno":2fenojy9 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2fenojy9 said:

Coyote is smarter than most people trying to trap them. That is like calling you get one chance that dog won't be back if you blow it.
Most effective way calling over here I have found is 15 ladder stand buckshot and decoy in this thicket.
This is one of my favorite calling spots.

Amen to that. We use decoy dogs quite a bit, and it helps with the smart ones.

I know a man that's keeps them full on deer meat and they wont bother anything else, you just need to mix some of that old green anti-freeze in it so it does not freeze before they eat it.

TennesseeTuxedo":39wvn96h said:
wacocowboy":39wvn96h said:
I like snares just can't release if you don't like what you catch.

Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.

Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.

wacocowboy":1jet6on8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1jet6on8 said:
wacocowboy":1jet6on8 said:

Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.

What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.

wacocowboy":2shxaq8s said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2shxaq8s said:
wacocowboy":2shxaq8s said:

are you using locking snares? i only have a very limited amount of experience with snares but have not had them kill anything yet! but locking snares are illegal in MI

ez14.":1mnbrhau said:
wacocowboy":1mnbrhau said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1mnbrhau said:

are you using locking snares? i only have a very limited amount of experience with snares but have not had them kill anything yet! but locking snares are illegal in MI
Jogeephus":1mnbrhau said:
wacocowboy":1mnbrhau said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1mnbrhau said:

What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.

I guess they are locking I really don't know they are some I got from a buddy he had in his barn. This was about 10 years ago and that was the only snares I've ever used. They worked good caught several coyotes and a dog.

Latest posts