Trapping Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1ko0mmmf said:
wacocowboy":1ko0mmmf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ko0mmmf said:
Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.

Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.

What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.

I honestly don't know Jo. The fella in the picture supplies the snares, I supply the land and the yotes.

If you ever get a chance take a look and see if the lock looks like any of these. The one on the right is a locking and the more the animal pulls the tighter it gets and it doesn't let up. The other two will ease up if they stop pulling. Reason I'm asking is I'm just curious if its the animal or the snare because I've never snared coyotes.

17103659_1687337084897517_5589723444321457158_n.jpg

I have snared and trapped lots of coyotes. I never had a snare kill a dog. Most dogs, at least the pet types have been tied up at one time or another. They won't fight the snare to the point of choking themselves down.
I like a dirt hole set with the trap back about a foot from the front edge of the hole and slightly to one side. I have used beaver, bobcat, muskrat, horse, beef, deer and just about any other kind of meat for bait. But no opossum, coon, or members of the weasel family as they don't work so well. Slightly tainted but definitely not rotten. I had a real good run one time in northeast Washington using small (half dollar sized) rock crabs for bait. I think it worked because they through off lots of odor but an odor the coyotes had never smelled before. I caught 53 in ten days on that run. Another set that worked well for me was a flat set using a egg shell as a visual and baited with a homemade bait that was 1/3 sardines, 1/3 limburger cheese, and 1/3 lard. I put all those thing together in a blender and blended very well. Scents to attract them can be pretty loud but for bait you want something that they want to eat. Rotten stuff will cause them to want to roll on it. They then roll on your trap setting it off but not getting caught. I also practiced making sets so I could make a good solid set very quickly. The longer you are at the location the more scent you leave. I tried to be clean but was more concern about time spent at the location.

Dave":no6dnc8x said:
I have snared and trapped lots of coyotes. I never had a snare kill a dog. Most dogs, at least the pet types have been tied up at one time or another. They won't fight the snare to the point of choking themselves down.
I like a dirt hole set with the trap back about a foot from the front edge of the hole and slightly to one side. I have used beaver, bobcat, muskrat, horse, beef, deer and just about any other kind of meat for bait. But no opossum, coon, or members of the weasel family as they don't work so well. Slightly tainted but definitely not rotten. I had a real good run one time in northeast Washington using small (half dollar sized) rock crabs for bait. I think it worked because they through off lots of odor but an odor the coyotes had never smelled before. I caught 53 in ten days on that run. Another set that worked well for me was a flat set using a egg shell as a visual and baited with a homemade bait that was 1/3 sardines, 1/3 limburger cheese, and 1/3 lard. I put all those thing together in a blender and blended very well. Scents to attract them can be pretty loud but for bait you want something that they want to eat. Rotten stuff will cause them to want to roll on it. They then roll on your trap setting it off but not getting caught. I also practiced making sets so I could make a good solid set very quickly. The longer you are at the location the more scent you leave. I tried to be clean but was more concern about time spent at the location.
some good info. Dave. I mostly trap cats but like to catch coyotes always felt like I had done something when I catch a coyote compared to a cat, cats are pretty easy but a coyote that a different story.

Thanks for sharing that Dave. Lots of stuff to learn about trapping. Haven't tried coyotes yet or anything other than beavers and pigs but i think I may do more of it in the future because its kind of fun. Sort of like a cat and mouse game where you really have to understand the animal to be successful.

Jogeephus":wwc8lu34 said:
wacocowboy":wwc8lu34 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":wwc8lu34 said:
Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.

Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.

What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.

Sounds like you need to be using a kill pole or drowning slide if you have live beavers in your snares.
I prefer my beavers dead when I show up. ;-)

never made beaver sausage but have ate it cooked in smoker and was pretty good eating.
Jogeephus what kind of seasoning do you use in the sausage?

Have had a lot of people say it was. Many of course don't know what's in it. If they don't ask I don't tell. At least till after they have eaten it. ;-)

Jogeephus":3bgzixz8 said:
I want them live so I can kill them and clean them for the meat for beaver sausage.

16730174_1064031090369543_2209744039578243336_n.jpg

Where did you get the idea to make sausage out of beavers? So is it a dry sausage or greasy? I've eaten a lot of weird stuff but never beaver.

wacocowboy":1dk607am said:
Where did you get the idea to make sausage out of beavers? So is it a dry sausage or greasy? I've eaten a lot of weird stuff but never beaver.

I don't like to kill anything unless I am going to use it so I gave beaver meat a try and found it tasted just like beef only more tender. I'd be willing to wager if you ate some and you would swear it was beef. Its not greasy at all. The fat tastes just like beef fat and the flesh tastes just like beef - only more tender.

This was a smoked sausage and was actually made from wild pig, antelope and beaver with a jalapeno and cheese twist. A lot of people might turn their noses up at the thought of eating something like this but in my view if it tastes good why not. And its free. And by god it they sure seem to be sustainable. :lol2:

Jogeephus":3qggzdor said:
wacocowboy":3qggzdor said:

I don't like to kill anything unless I am going to use it so I gave beaver meat a try and found it tasted just like beef only more tender. I'd be willing to wager if you ate some and you would swear it was beef. Its not greasy at all. The fat tastes just like beef fat and the flesh tastes just like beef - only more tender.

This was a smoked sausage and was actually made from wild pig, antelope and beaver with a jalapeno and cheese twist. A lot of people might turn their noses up at the thought of eating something like this but in my view if it tastes good why not. And its free. And be nice it they sure seem to be sustainable. :lol2:

If it taste good go for it. I would try it. Your sausage combo sounds good. I have eaten barbecue lizard so why not beaver.

wacocowboy":3gix3bdc said:
If it taste good go for it. I would try it. Your sausage combo sounds good. I have eaten barbecue lizard so why not beaver.

That's my take on it but some turn their noses up at the thought. Heck, they are vegetarian and not like a possum that eats anything. Key is being sure to remove the castor gland and not getting any castor on the meat because it will taint it but this is very easy to do. Some people claim the tail is a delicacy but I write those folks off as being full of shyt because the tail is nothing but fat and is about like stripping the fat off a ribeye and eating it. I've also been told Indians viewed the tail as a delicacy which I might could see if they used it to make pemmican but eaten alone its no different than beef fat.

Jogeephus":2ibp920d said:
wacocowboy":2ibp920d said:

That's my take on it but some turn their noses up at the thought. Heck, they are vegetarian and not like a possum that eats anything. Key is being sure to remove the castor gland and not getting any castor on the meat because it will taint it but this is very easy to do. Some people claim the tail is a delicacy but I write those folks off as being full of shyt because the tail is nothing but fat and is about like stripping the fat off a ribeye and eating it. I've also been told Indians viewed the tail as a delicacy which I might could see if they used it to make pemmican but eaten alone its no different than beef fat.

We don't really have beaver around here. I would of though the tail would be like a gator tail. So do you make anything else besides sausage out of them. Ever ground one up and had beaver burger?

Jogeephus":35kl3a1n said:
I want them live so I can kill them and clean them for the meat for beaver sausage.

16730174_1064031090369543_2209744039578243336_n.jpg
Those look exactly like the bratwurst's we make! As to the original question Cavens Hiawatha valley is a good bait http://www.minntrapprod.com/Hiawatha-Va ... HVALLEYGL/ along with Fox Hollows Bounty Hunter as a lure, the coyotes will kill themselves as long as they have anything to tangle in. They do make dispatch snares not sure if they're legal in your state.

wacocowboy":1awohwfv said:
We don't really have beaver around here. I would of though the tail would be like a gator tail. So do you make anything else besides sausage out of them. Ever ground one up and had beaver burger?

I use it just like I do beef. Make a lot a stir fry with it and burger works good to. You wouldn't know its not beef.

Historical antropologists at the end of the 3rd millennium will state that 21st century man:
"Has conquered the atom.
Has ventured out into the solar system.
Has clawed his way to the top of the food chain.
Eats rats."

Latest posts