transporting pregnant cows

Help Support CattleToday:

melmo

Reaction score
Have two pregnant cows due sometime this month. Would like to move them to better pasture, but this involves hauling them 10 miles in a trailer.

Is this safe, or should I wait until after the calves are born?

If I should wait until after the calves are born, how soon after can I transport them?

melmo":wjnwsm81 said:
Have two pregnant cows due sometime this month. Would like to move them to better pasture, but this involves hauling them 10 miles in a trailer.

If I should wait until after the calves are born, how soon after can I transport them?

Assuming you have a good corral and load out, I'd go ahead and do it now. Give them a few days to get used to the new place before the babies come.

melmo":2feocil4 said:

Load and go - I have hauled them coast to coast - this is a drop in the bucket

Bez>

I had one get out of the trailer after a 4 hr drive and have her calf within 10 minutes. I could see her in labor in the mirror and got there as quick as I could!

melmo":7fg02qge said:

As long as you're a reasonably good driver, and don't throw them all over the trailer it's perfectly safe.

msscamp":3mdxyak5 said:
melmo":3mdxyak5 said:

As long as you're a reasonably good driver, and don't throw them all over the trailer it's perfectly safe.

I bet that is where Sidney messed up.

Beefy":1812heb9 said:
msscamp":1812heb9 said:
melmo":1812heb9 said:

I bet that is where Sidney messed up.

I doubt it!

sidney411":20w7xdf5 said:
I had one get out of the trailer after a 4 hr drive and have her calf within 10 minutes. I could see her in labor in the mirror and got there as quick as I could!

So, that's the secret to a tight calving group!

Haul 'em! :D

Bez>

i would rather haul them pregnant than with a little baby that might get stepped or knocked down. beside that they are harder to load and move worrying over a little one.