Transporting cow and nursing calf long distance

Help Support CattleToday:

VTU

Reaction score
Hi All,
We have decided to get a family milk cow and have found her about 900 miles away.We are new to raising cattle and the man we are purchasing from doesn't know much about transporting cattle. I have concerns about how to move a nursing pair that far safely. Does anyone have suggestions for how often we should stop for her to nurse? Should we use a partition when we are moving? The calf is about 2 weeks old. Are there any questions I haven't asked that I should have? :)
I so very much appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Thank you!
VTU

VTU":2nmi7g4b said:
Hi All,
We have decided to get a family milk cow and have found her about 900 miles away.We are new to raising cattle and the man we are purchasing from doesn't know much about transporting cattle. I have concerns about how to move a nursing pair that far safely. Does anyone have suggestions for how often we should stop for her to nurse? Should we use a partition when we are moving? The calf is about 2 weeks old. Are there any questions I haven't asked that I should have? :)
I so very much appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Thank you!
VTU

No being rude but how the wrld do you justifey driving 900 miles to get a Milk Cow ? The cost of driving that far should cost you what 600 bucks alone in gas ? and thats if you get 12 miles to the gallon ? Whch pulling a trailer heavey enough to do that plus the added weight and your truck to pull you would be at bestto get that.
So now I am just wodering why your going so far to get a Milk Cow.. It better be a FREE cow cuz thats the only way I see making it worth that long of a trip. Then again its still not free but your getting a good cow maybe for gas money ? And then theres the added fact that a guy thats selling you livestock knows nothing about transporting them ? Is this a joke, I dont know anyone thats never transported cattle when they own them. Besides maybe a hobby farmer ?

900 miles, wet cow and guy doesn't know anything about moving cattle. Sounds like a perfect recipe for disaster. Find a milk cow closer to home.

Is that one way or round trip? Do you realize how long you will be on the road with the cow/calf? Are you going to stop somewhere halfway and stay the night or drive straight through? Please be aware that while pulling a trailer, you shouldn't go as fast as you would in a car, so the trip will take longer than planned. One of our daughters lives about 550 miles from us. It will take me well over 12 hours driving time pulling a trailer going to her house. The fuel costs will be expensive.

Is the cow halter broke? You will need to haul them separately so that the cow will not step on the calf. Haul the cow loose in a trailer where she has room to lay down if she wants to. You will need to tie her if there is not enough room for her to turn around safely and lay down. Bed the trailer. If you are driving straight through, you will need to stop several times for the calf to nurse.

Good luck.

I recently purchased 10 head from 850 miles away, with one being a nursing cow but the calf was 3 months old. The cow and calf were together in one compartment the whole time, no problem. The trip took 16 hours, the cattle were fine when they arrived and in 3 weeks, there have been no issues. HOWEVER, there are many things you have to be aware of. How many state lines do you cross? What is the requirement for each state as far as a veterinary certificate, health papers, vaccinations, transportation of animal permits, whether or not it is legal for you to pull your trailer and transport interstate, and many other issues that others may be able to help with. In another thread, it was pointed out that a CDL license is needed for the hauler and fuel permits for most interstate hauling. You don't want to be half way home with the cow and calf and a DOT officer stops you and makes you unhook your trailer and come back when you have proper paperwork. That could really be expensive. Just some thoughts, I agree with Aaron, find a cow closer to home.

The milk cow 900 miles from home reminded me of the small Arkansas village that lost it's milk cow. They took up a collection after finding a cow for sale in Minnesota. They sent a guy up with the money and after a time, he returned and the cow was fantastic and the village was very happy. When it came time to breed her, they brought in the local's best bull. Every time the bull approached her, she would turn away and give him the cold shoulder. When he went to touch her or nudge her, she would just push him away, not wanting him to have anything to do with her. This went on for a couple of weeks---no matter what the bull tried, the cow would not have anything to do with him. They finally called a wise old vet and told him the situation. He thought for a minute, then asked, "Did you perhaps purchase this cow in Minnesota?". Yes, they told him and were astonished. They told the vet he was amazing and so very wise, that he could figure that out and asked him, how was he able to know that. The vet paused, got a sad look in his eye, and replied "My wife, she is from Minnesota".

stocky":298xd9g4 said:
I recently purchased 10 head from 850 miles away, with one being a nursing cow but the calf was 3 months old. The cow and calf were together in one compartment the whole time, no problem. The trip took 16 hours, the cattle were fine when they arrived and in 3 weeks, there have been no issues. HOWEVER, there are many things you have to be aware of. How many state lines do you cross? What is the requirement for each state as far as a veterinary certificate, health papers, vaccinations, transportation of animal permits, whether or not it is legal for you to pull your trailer and transport interstate, and many other issues that others may be able to help with. In another thread, it was pointed out that a CDL license is needed for the hauler and fuel permits for most interstate hauling. You don't want to be half way home with the cow and calf and a DOT officer stops you and makes you unhook your trailer and come back when you have proper paperwork. That could really be expensive. Just some thoughts, I agree with Aaron, find a cow closer to home.

CDL

Class A CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): 26,000+, Towing Weight: 10,001+, Passenger Requirement: N/A

Class B CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): 26,000+, Towing Weight: <10,001, Passenger Requirement: N/A

Class C CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): <26,000+, Towing Weight: N/A, Passenger Requirement: 16+

If your pulling a regular goosneck trailer and not a 5th wheel then your dont need fuel permits and all that jazz or a CDL.

But if your hauling a 5th wheel trailer and it exceeds 10,000 pounds then you need a CDL, so to put it plan most the time your carrying Cattle you want need one unless your pulling a 5th wheel trailer thats gonna be at that weight.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond! You've been helpful! This is not your typical cattle transport issue and I realize some might not understand even after I explain. We have children that have numerous food allergies and have long distance friends whose allergenic children have improved tremendously on organically raised, grass-fed, A2 raw dairy. We have searched for a year and a half for such an animal. The first one we found was 2000 miles away....and we considered it. :) We do wish we could find one closer but we haven't. We realize this is time, labor, and financially intensive, but we are very willing and obviously want to make the transport as safe and comfortable as we possibly can for the cows. The man we are purchasing from is a small dairy farmer and raises his own so there is not much transport involved for him except to slaughter. And maybe I should have said, he doesn't know much about "long-distance transport". He's not generally in the cow selling business. He is selling this one to us as somewhat of a favor to a friend(of a friend) :). Again, I really appreciate your time and advice. Thank you for your help!
And @ Stocky-LOL!! :lol:

Arkansas, there is alot of confusion and misinterpretation on those laws. The guy who I bought these cows from had a F-350 pickup and used his 24 foot cattle trailer. The cattle were various sizes and weighed a total of 7500 lbs. He went to the Wyoming DOT and they told him he had to have a CDL, fuel permits, and various travel papers for the cattle to go from Wyoming to Missouri, 850 miles. He had to hire a driver to drive his own rig and deliver his own cattle. There are also people who are using the 150 miles from home limit as the law for needing a CDL. I have a neighbor, who, a while ago bought a mixer/grinder in Missouri, where he lives, but it was 250 miles from home. He got stopped and got a huge ticket because he was over 150 miles from home with no CDL for a 1 ton pickup and 20 foot flatbed hauling his own farm machinery. He is waiting to fight this one in court. I think it depends on who happens to stop you as to what they are going to try to do. I sell my cattle 65 miles from home (in Harrison, Ar) and cross a state line to get them there, but I still have gotten conflicting answers when I talk to the various state officials (in Missouri) about what I need for my 1 ton (13000, lb gvw) pickup and my 24 foot (8,200) lb trailer with 24,000 lb tags on my pickup as far as hauling to Harrison or even hauling my own cattle over 150 miles.

VTU":13u9agzj said:
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond! You've been helpful! This is not your typical cattle transport issue and I realize some might not understand even after I explain. We have children that have numerous food allergies and have long distance friends whose allergenic children have improved tremendously on organically raised, grass-fed, A2 raw dairy. We have searched for a year and a half for such an animal. The first one we found was 2000 miles away....and we considered it. :) We do wish we could find one closer but we haven't. We realize this is time, labor, and financially intensive, but we are very willing and obviously want to make the transport as safe and comfortable as we possibly can for the cows. The man we are purchasing from is a small dairy farmer and raises his own so there is not much transport involved for him except to slaughter. And maybe I should have said, he doesn't know much about "long-distance transport". He's not generally in the cow selling business. He is selling this one to us as somewhat of a favor to a friend(of a friend) :). Again, I really appreciate your time and advice. Thank you for your help!
And @ Stocky-LOL!! :lol:

Have you considered getting a goat? Allergenic children usually can not tolerate cow milk as well as goat milk. What state are you in? I'd generally avoid hauling a 2 week old calf more than an hour drive, but I might be overly cautious.

Well, the situation may have worked itself out. The wife has decided she wants to keep the calf. We are now exploring other options with this same farmer. I'm planning to avoid any other cows that are very pregnant or that have just calved. :) We have considered goats but "organic" goats are about as difficult to find as A2 cows are. I would love to have goats, sheep, and cows. I think I'm on the right road. It's just a long one! :) We are in Southeastern NC. Thanks everyone!