Transitioning a bill from the Midwest to fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogtiming

Reaction score
Any recommendation on the time of year to move a bull from the Midwest to the fescue belt without it having to much of an effect on him?

Hogtiming":3to7v1qp said:
Any recommendation on the time of year to move a bull from the Midwest to the fescue belt without it having to much of an effect on him?
First thing is it seems that the older an animal the longer it takes to adjust to fescue. Some thoughts are that it is really hard after they are over 10 months or so.
We bought some mature cows out of the West several years ago and they never adjusted.

I thought winter myself but I was afraid the fresh fescue in the spring would hurt them. But then the fescue in July-October would not be good either. Just curious on everyone's experiences/opinions are. I would hate to buy some and have issues during breeding

kenny thomas":3ouwfv6s said:
Really good advice is to buy bulls that were raised on fescue.
That's the best advice for sure. I never worry about where my cattle go in the different parts of the US because they have been raised on fescue for decades. They usually do better in different environments.
That said, years ago when I had some Red Angus cattle I bought Chief Line bred bulls from NE and they really didn't show any issues in the transition. The females were another story.... Especially spring calvers
going out on fescue for the first time. Breed back was terrible.

why not buy a bull closer to you? the trucking has to be expensive, but if you are gonna do it just do it! bulls are tough the'll adjust eventually

MtnCows93":3u1ntkla said:
why not buy a bull closer to you? the trucking has to be expensive, but if you are gonna do it just do it! bulls are tough the'll adjust eventually
Yes bulls are tough they aren't bad foolproof when it comes to fescue. Is it worth taking a chance of loosing a calf crop?

It has to be done a lot. I'm just curious if anyone has had experience doing it. Which season would be the best.

Hogtiming":1hv1g0oz said:
It has to be done a lot. I'm just curious if anyone has had experience doing it. Which season would be the best.
It actually isnt done a lot is why your not getting any comments. The ones here like me that have tried will not give good ideas except get the bull from fescue.

Bring them in the fall. Fall growth fescue and stockpiled winter fescue is not as toxic as spring fescue that's fixing to make seed heads. The seeds are the most toxic.

Latest posts