Transformer oil - mineral oil?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what transformer oil is? I've been told it's the same as mineral oil, and I know nothing about mineral oil either. I'm wanting to know if it'll burn and what if any lubrication qualities it has. One other major thing is, does it gum up like used cooking oil? I use a 50/50 hydraulic - diesel blend, cut10% with used motor oil for lubrication now and I'm happy with the results. Thanks

Vince,

They were PCBs for many years until they became known as a carcinogen. PCBs were regulated by EPA.

Today, they do contain mineral oil. I am positive at the right temperature, it will burn.

Bright Raven":2a6woqlz said:
Vince,

They were PCBs for many years until they became known as a carcinogen. PCBs were regulated by EPA.

Today, they do contain mineral oil. I am positive at the right temperature, it will burn.

That's a start thanks Raven.

Vince mineral oil is a paraffins based hydrocarbon like diesel.
For the life of me I can't remember how it got labeled mineral this morning.
I will pull out one of my organic chemistry books later and get the flash and ignition temps.

Auto ignition temp is around 600.

I work at Westinghouse for years on large transformers. I can remember more than once when a truck driver would bring 6000 gallons of oil for filling a transformer. If there was oil left over they would put it in their fuel tank. I don't think I would put it in a $100,000 tractor as transformer oil has certain inhibitors and additives in it.

Latest posts