Tranquilizer Gun?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tony Jr

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a T. Gun for many reasons.
1. Animal gets out and acts like an idiot :mad: .
2. Worm the ones that are too big for the chute. 5cc dose of Ivomic Plus etc.... :cboy:
3. Need to get hands on an animal in distress ;-) .

What are your thoughts :?: ?!?!? :idea:

I ain't never had a reason to use one. (1)The only idiot in the neighbor when one gets out is me leaving the gate open. (2)I ain't never had one to big for the chute. The biggest bull I ever run is around 2000, he will go down the chute, although he does rub both sides. (3) most of the times if I find one in distress I can either herd it or give it meds. I did have one years ago that was scratching on a hayring that was standing on its side. The ring somehow fell over on her and she was in the middle. She ran all over creation before I got her roped. Again that was this idiots fault for leaving the ring there like that in the first place. With a T Gun I would be more concerned causing more trouble than I helped. Maybe someone is more experience with this can give you better advice. Heck, I may even need one and don't know it.

we had to tranquilize a brangus cross cow that didnt belong to us one time b/c she had banana horns growing into her skull (almost eye sockets) and they were causing infection where they went in. so we sawed them off. they are good for wild cows and cows that you really need to catch to doctor but i dont know if i could justify buying one or not.

I don't see the need for having one , I think you're just looking for more trouble, If the need would arise get a vet or somebody who knows for sure what they are doing

I am having a fellow come out today with his t-gun. I recenty bought a cow/ calf and the cow wont let the two week old calf nurse. The calf has been staying alive by stealing milk from every other cow in the pasture. I have tried to feed her up into my trap with no luck. Time is important ,so I am going to have her tranquilized . The procedure ,as I understand, it is to overdose her with rompun (sp) then drive the trailer to her and adminster the antidote. When she wakes up ,a little, tie a rope to her and run the rope thru the trailer to another truck. Gently pull to encourage her to stagger into trailer. After catching her she will be moved to a better holding facility where she can be restrained while the calf nurses.

Tony

I don't know anything about a T-Gun but I do know that a grown cow would need more then 5cc of Ivomec +. We give ours at least 10cc, some get 12 if they are real big and the bulls usually get 12-15cc. I believe it is something like 1cc per 100 lbs, if I remember correctly ( I don't have a bottle handy )

I almost forgot to mention that the fellow says he has killed two out of about 100 with this procedure.

denoginnizer":42vvcjt8 said:
I am having a fellow come out today with his t-gun. I recenty bought a cow/ calf and the cow wont let the two week old calf nurse. The calf has been staying alive by stealing milk from every other cow in the pasture. I have tried to feed her up into my trap with no luck. Time is important ,so I am going to have her tranquilized . The procedure ,as I understand, it is to overdose her with rompun (sp) then drive the trailer to her and adminster the antidote. When she wakes up ,a little, tie a rope to her and run the rope thru the trailer to another truck. Gently pull to encourage her to stagger into trailer. After catching her she will be moved to a better holding facility where she can be restrained while the calf nurses.

Personal opinion, but I would think the "better holding facility" would be the sale barn or the freezer.

dun

I'm with dun...any cow that needs a tranquilizer gun to be handled should have an appointment with the sale barn or the freezer!

The" better holding facility" is back to guy I bought them from. He was a reputable dealer and has agreed to exchange the cow/calf for another pair.

i agree that 99% of the time you shouldn't need a tranquilizer gun. However, I bought a group of hiefers one time and must have had one crazy one because she went nuts, lifted my corral gates i had temporaily put up to unload, (you should always anchor those down is what I learned) and took off. A man about three miles down the road called me 4 days later and said she was in her pasture but going nuts and he couldn't catch her. I swaped some hay with him to let her stay for a month but she never calmed down. I started to go with the 300 win mag to get her but instead called a friend that had Tgun. Long story short. Instead of meat that I didn't need, I got $780 for a bred hiefer at the sale the next day. Would have paid for the gun with one use.

sidney411":1fd16763 said:
Tony

I don't know anything about a T-Gun but I do know that a grown cow would need more then 5cc of Ivomec +. We give ours at least 10cc, some get 12 if they are real big and the bulls usually get 12-15cc. I believe it is something like 1cc per 100 lbs, if I remember correctly ( I don't have a bottle handy )
Hey Sidney411

You have to get a compound pharmacy to mix it up for you. They basically double up the active stuff so instead of 10cc for 1000lb you only need 5cc. Sorry for not explaining this earlier. :oops:
I'm not using this on cattle, but bison. I'm thinking of getting a bull 1800 to 2000 lbs and I know he want fit threw my chute (his head with the horns want fit) , I don't really want to get close to him in my catch pin (3 in. drill stem pin) :cboy: .
I asked you'll cattle farmer because it's like handling a crazy cow for ya'll. I also like this forum because there are several simularities between the two animals. :cboy: We also run around 75 or so head of cattle between all the family. Where farm individual, but at the same time too :idea: :shock: .

That changes things. I probally would get one in your case. I don't want to have to fight something like that. The only encounter I have with one of them resulted in the bisons death. A guy around here want beefalo. He bought a bull and it went so crazy he wound up shooting it, then eating it.

I only have 11 now. Start small and working my way up. I'm lucky for now. All my animals are real calm and I can touch two or three. Mine are quit docile but I also want a back up plan in case. In the pasture there as calm as cattle. Put them in a catch pin "IT'S ON" they're a totally different animal. Jump 6 feet easly and 0 to 35 mph in a matter of steps. It sounds bad but that's only really that way when they're pinned up or stressed. I'm having trouble with my domanite cows keeping the smaller ones out of my pin. So I thought maybe with a gun I could vaccinate the ones I can't get in the catch pin and also have in case one get's dangerous! :cboy:
But I wanted ya'll feed back. THANKS

Sounds to me like you need either a bigger pen, different cows, or to work them differently (maybe let them work themselves). with 11 I personally could not justify a tranquilizer gun. but opinions are like iceholes, everybodys got one and some of em stink.

"maybe let them work themselves"
How would I do that or what does that mean?
The pin is two 32 X 32 pins joined and at the end of one it has a half moon that uses a gate to push the animals in the loading chute.
Are you talking about moving the bigger cows into the chute or cut off in one of the pins? :cboy:

oh nevermind, i forgot you had bison. you might need a tranquilizer gun in that case. pretty much scratch all the suggestions i made. i have no idea how to work bison other than "very carefully."

Latest posts