traning a horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Cobbkid":3j2wkwz5 said:
I was wonting to no what is the best way to haltor brake a horse.

Sam
[/b]

Slow and patient. Once you have gained the horses trust, approach with a halter. Let them smell it and then rub them with it. They will usually settle down and allow you to put it around their neck. Let them get used to that, talking to them and petting them, then put the nose band on, keep building up in little steps until they will allow you to put it on. Some horses, depending on the level of trust established, don't need all these steps - some do. Let them wear it for a few hours, or if in a safe environment that has nothing they can catch it on, all day as long as your there to watch. I personally would never turn a horse out in a pasture with a halter on. Too many things can go wrong and set you back. Depending on your location to roads, it's also easier to steal a horse that has a halter on. Once they get used to the halter, attach the lead rope. Don't try to lead them straight forward as they will usually plant their front feet and not move - instead lead them off to the side to where they have to turn. They will usually turn and take a step or two, at which point you pet them and praise them. Keep doing this and they will be broke to lead in no time. Hope this helps.

Well i guess yall can tell i dont no very much about foals. So how do you know when they are ready to ween. Do you ween them like you do calves.

Sam

Cobbkid":r6x9v8u9 said:
Well i guess yall can tell i dont no very much about foals. So how do you know when they are ready to ween. Do you ween them like you do calves.

Sam

Sam,

Msscamp has got you going for a good start. How old is your foal? The younger the horse is the easier it is to start.

First I'm in total agreement with Msscamp (I'll call her ms) on the do's and don'ts of leaving the halter on. But it's very, very important so I'll repeat it, you want to leave the halter on the foal for a period of time, but only if you are 100% sure it can't get caught on anything. If it gets caught on a hook or board or anything your foal will panic and could get hurt, and the very least it won't trust the halter and will be much harder to train for the halter. I also never turn my horses out with a halter on.

Another safety issue for you to know is that horses have been around for many thousand of years. They are not like cats and dogs as pets just the opposite, horses are prey animals, they are what preditors catch and eat, cats and dogs are preditors. So don't treat your horse like a dog, when a horse feels threaten or they are afraid they want to run away and will not trust whatever has hurt them. As ms said have lots of patients and always a slow gentle hand. Have lots of room when working with a foal, not in a stall. The untrained horse by instinct will move into pressure not away from it, horse have to be trained to move away from pressure. Meaning if you put your hand on an untrained foals side and try to push it away it will push back or lean into you. This could smash you into a wall and the harder you push the harder the foal will push. I knew of a lady that was killed this way. so work where you have lots of room.

When halter training a horse I wil start by using a lead rope and rubbing it on the horse body and neck, let it smell it, as ms said, and then drape it over the neck, hold both ends and gently apply pressure as to lead it, us very little pressure, you don't want to lead it you just want it to get use to pressure. If it steps back step with it, if it looks like it's getting scared stop and reassure your horse. If it starts to panic let go of one end and then reassure your horse. It's all about the horses trust in you.

Let me know how old your horse is and by that we all can give you lots more tips. I wean horse between 4 and 6 months depending on wha tI plan for tehm and how they are doing.

Good luck,
Alan

Cobbkid":23o9s3mx said:
My foal is about one week old.

Sam

Perfect age, just start buy hands on rubbing all over body, gently and speaking softly gain the foals trust in you. As stated before be careful of mom, if you trust her give her som hay or tie her in the corner. But keep mom and baby where they can see each other. Some of the hard places to touch a horse because they, by instinct protect these areas are the belly, the pole (top of the head between the ears) and their legs, so go slow. Rub the foal with halter or lead rope. I believe you have another question on these boards so make sure you read those responses also, you have gotten some great advice from others that alot of people pay big money to get. That's why I really like this site.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Alan

Thank You Alan,

When the foal gets about weaning age is it to small to put a little kids saddle JUST TO GET USED TO IT.And when do u start with the bit.

Cobbkid":2sjrxtm2 said:
Thank You Alan,

When the foal gets about weaning age is it to small to put a little kids saddle JUST TO GET USED TO IT.And when do u start with the bit.

Way too early wait until the horse gets to be about 18 months for that, lots of more important stuff to work on. You are shaping a baby into what you want you horse to be like as adult horse. It's alot easier to train a young horse on ground manners because of it's size. Right now you have a baby, when the horse is 2 you have a naughty teenager. lots of fun ahead, take your time, have lots of patience, always a kind hand, get the basics done first.

And most important, always be safe, don't ever get into a bad spot. Keep and escape route for yourself, meaning stay between the horse and the door, you don't want have to get by a freaking horse to get out of the stall or any other tight spot.

Good Luck,
Aaln

You don't want to hurt your Horses Neck

Tie one end of a 20' rope around the barrel of your horse (where the chinch goes) - run the other end up between the front legs - through the halter and tie him short and up high 6' + to a smooth wall if you can - (We have a 8' x 8' wall built just for this) - when he pulls back he's pulling on his Barrel not his neck - - when he learns to respect the rope and not fight it - - untie him and pull him to the left then right back and forth and with pet&praise each time he moves to face you. Even have some Oats in your pocket to give him a few each time.

Ok thank you i am going to try this today i have had some horse problems and i finally got the mare in the pens.
Thank you

Latest posts