Traits for repl. females

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
A

Anonymous

calving ease, early sexual maturity, fertility, mothering ability, mamary conformation

> What would be the top three traits
> that you would consider in
> selecting replacement females.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Some people may disagree, but feet & legs should be right up with, if not above all the other traits -- all the other traits do you no good at all, if the animal's feet and legs won't hold up.

I have dairy cows, but my top 3 for choosing replacements are #1 feet & legs, #2 udder structure, and production and fertility tie for #3.

Ann B

> What would be the top three traits
> that you would consider in
> selecting replacement females.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

First and foremost....out of a productive, fertile mother. 2nd, phenotype, including soundness and fleshability. 3rd Disposition.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

First disposition. If you can't work her nothing else matters. Second feet and legs. Since this is addressing heifers, third is structure, head appropriate, wide chest good length and depth of body, flat top line, etc.

dun

> First and foremost....out of a
> productive, fertile mother. 2nd,
> phenotype, including soundness and
> fleshability. 3rd Disposition.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

all the things each have listed are very important and i guess it really depends on what you are doing with your calves...

in my part of the country, most people sell their calves to sale barns... so if i was to rank the "top" 3... it would be:

1 ability to raise a good calf... how much milk does she give? if she isnt giving milk... she cant raise a good calf regardless of how purty she is or how nice she is...

2 disposition... i hate a mean cow, but she can raise a good calf... without milk she couldnt though.

3 condition... feet, legs, back, etc... some of the ugliest cows i have ever seen, raise the best looking calves..

just my 2 cents,

gene

> Some people may disagree, but feet
> & legs should be right up
> with, if not above all the other
> traits -- all the other traits do
> you no good at all, if the
> animal's feet and legs won't hold
> up.

> I have dairy cows, but my top 3
> for choosing replacements are #1
> feet & legs, #2 udder
> structure, and production and
> fertility tie for #3.

> Ann B



[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top