Training Tips

Help Support CattleToday:

turn&burn92

Reaction score
I am looking for some training tips. I have a 6 month old female Blue Heeler. I am wanting to train her and teach her manners so I can let her out of her pen without a leash. We live about a 1/2 mile off the road. I let her out with a leash but I would like to know I can let her out without one so she can run and get out her energy, without worrying about her running away. She very sweet, I just feel like she needs more discipline and I need more control. I attached some pictures of her. Her name is Daisey. She's the lighter dog. The other darker one is my sisters dog.
KatesdidgitalPictures097.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures090.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures084.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures092.jpg

Thanks,
Kate

I'd start by increasing the size of their prison. Get it at least large enough that grass can grow. Probably minimum size would be 1500 - 2000 square feet. Two dogs in a small area like you have, when they get out all they want to do is run. In a larger pen you will be able to interact with her in the pen somewhat. JMOP!

Blue Heelers and other cattle dogs live to run and do stuff.

Their "jail" they're in is obviously bare dirt and evidence of digging by the dogs. Digging is symptomatic of boredom and need to burn off excess energy.

They definitely need a larger area to run, romp, and exercise. A 100 x 100' pen would be the next "starter" pen. If the dogs are let loose without containment, and you're 1/2 mile from the road, you could probably expect they would run a lot and perhaps escape your property...however, they would come back to eat, etc. Always risk they might get stolen or run over by vehicle.

You could "try" one of the better "security" electronic fences...wire buried in ground with sensor collars on the dogs. However, I'm not sure how effective they would be with dogs that live to run (e.g., Heelers, other cow dogs, Labs, Huskies, etc.).

I know, it is expensive to fence in a large area for dogs. On the other hand, without proper perimeter fencing and a LOT of training, dogs tend to run, explore, and join packs...not a good situation.

In our own experience:

Up until 2 years ago I had a Siberian Husky and a Black Lab. They were contained in their pen (aboaut 50 x 200') with mesh fencing. Under strict supervision, they were let out in our 1 acre yard with a perimeter fence. At night, they were fed in their pen and locked up. Both died of natural causes.

Then, my remaining dog, a Pit Terrier mix (neutered male) had his own pen, about 40 x 80'. After my Huskie and Lab died, the Pit became an escape artist and would be in our yard. I gradually worked with him and would walk with him around our 1 acre perimeter daily with front gate closed. He became a "homebody" and hung around me. We also walked in our pastures. Later, I opened the front gate and took him for walks past the gate. Every time he "looked" at the gate or through it, I said "NO!" and then "come" as we walked past it. Then, I would tell him to "STAY! with Hand Signals) and then leave through the gate in my truck and came back in a few minutes. I gradually extended my time. Then, once a day on my trip to the post office, I let him ride with me in the front seat. Now, after about a year of "training", I can tell him to "Stay" with hand signal, and I can leave through front gate. When both of us have to leave, I tell him to "Stay", shut the front gate, and even if we're gone all day, he is still home laying near our house or office. Then he comes to greet us when we are back.

Train, train, train...

i have never seen a heeler with it's tail still in-tact. When i first saw her i thought, man she looks awefull weird. Heelers are the wrong dogs to keep in ANY SIZE PEN. they are not kennel dogs. They are meant for work and most work just as much as their owners would. Heelers need hundreds of acres to TRULY EXCERSISe.

Start with a very long rope and work on getting her to come when you comand her and stuff like that. If you want a temp solution from the small pen then use the rope to keep her in the yard (assuming she wont just chew through it). But to train her start her on a long rope and work on tellin her to come. Thats what I did. My dog wont run off now and she was the first one I had so I didn't train her the best i could of.

turn&burn92":1dpzhoz7 said:
I am looking for some training tips. I have a 6 month old female Blue Heeler. I am wanting to train her and teach her manners so I can let her out of her pen without a leash. We live about a 1/2 mile off the road.

Thanks,
Kate

The first thing you need to do is some obedience training - basic 'come', 'sit', 'down', 'leave it', and 'stay' commands. I've found that if you hold a treat in front of a dog, then slowly raise it over their heads most young dogs will follow the treat with their eyes and automatically sit down. As they get ready to sit down, give the command "Sit". Same thing with 'down', just lower the treat to the floor, and give the command. You will need to be very consistent, and she will need to be on leash until you are confident she will respond to these commands on a consistent basis. Once you are confident, put her on a longer leash and see if she still responds. If she does, check around your area for a fenced in dog play area. If you can't find a fenced in play area for dogs, try the local high school and see if they have a fenced in basketball court, tennis court, or something like that (just be courteous and clean up after your dog, please). :) Take her there, take her off leash, and see how she responds under those conditions. That will give you a very good idea as to whether she is ready to be turned loose on your property, but will not endanger her. As far as the road, walk her around the perimeter of your property and every time she crosses the property line - correct her, accompanied by a stern "No!". Over time she will learn her boundaries, learn what is expected of her, and respond accordingly. To further reinforce your dominance, do not give her treats she has not earned through doing something - say sitting up pretty, laying down and maintaining the position for a couple of minutes(always working to increase the hold time), shaking hands, speaking on command, coming to you, you get the idea. Never fail to verbally reward her for responding correctly, never rely entirely on treats, and never, EVER call her to you to punish her! If she has done something that should be punished, go to her. To do otherwise undermines everything you've taught her. Good luck with Daisey!

To the rest of the board - does anyone know the name of the book that is published by the monestery that breeds, raises, and sells German Shepherd's to supplement their income? That book would be very helpful to Kate, but I lost my copy years ago, and cannot remember the name of it. Thanks!

Victoria":qamworqd said:
msscamp, I think you mean the books by the Monks of New Skeete - The Art of Raising a Puppy, How to be Your Dog's Best Friend, and Divine Canine.

I believe you are correct, Victoria - thank you very much for responding. :) Kate, I would suggest you check out these books, they are a very valuable resource for training.

She looks very sweet! Typical heeler happiness! :)

Start with basic obedience training..there are usually clubs that have classes in alot of areas. or enlist the help of a dog savvy friend or good book!

She needs to understand come, sit, stay and heel at a bare minimum. How bonded is she with you? In my experience, heelers will bond with one person in their life espcially well. This REALLY helps with the training and also making sure they "stay" with you when loose.

Add my vote to the basic obedience training.
work em every day on the obedience.
30 minute down stay is one that really makes em get it.
If you don't know the basic obedience then you and the puppy both need to take a class.
Once you have it then you are set to train any future dogs for the basics.
Heeler pup has to get some exercise.
frisbe or ball are good but they will drive you crazy with it.

pdfangus":zhepasm8 said:
Add my vote to the basic obedience training.
frisbe or ball are good but they will drive you crazy with it.
I have an Aussie and she is insane about bugging people to throw her ball for her. I tried to get her to catch a frisbee, but she got smacked too many times just below her nose learning to catch it, she will not try anymore. Today I was gone from home for over 11 hours, and she came with me. Unless I am working, she comes with me. I took her to obedience classes when she was 4 mos old and I worked with her. She turned 3 this month, and I can take her absolutly anywhere off leash and know she will behave fantastically. The trainer said to use small pieces of hot dog cut up to give them for treats, microwave them until they are chewy. Ruby loved it (and she is picky), and I got to eat on the way home whatever she did not earn. Bonus!

The years of enjoyment you get out of a well trained dog are more than worth the weeks it takes to get them there. Good Luck!

angie":mixgnqvu said:
The years of enjoyment you get out of a well trained dog are more than worth the weeks it takes to get them there. Good Luck!

Yeh, I gotta throw my 2 cents in here.....you gotta spend time with your dog. She's not going to listen to you until she knows "how" to listen to you. :) And as Angie said above, training is well worth the effort. Let's face it, an untrained, undisciplined dog is a veritable pain in the tush and can make life miserable where as one that knows what to do and when to do it is one of life's greatest pleasures. Problem is that they don't come that way and it takes time and effort to get them there. :)

Best of luck to you!!