training show calf to lead

Help Support CattleToday:

mskaren

Reaction score
My son has a show calf that does not want to walk. He is very gentle but very stubborn. We have to carry a bucket of feed with us when we try to walk him. He walks in hopes of eating the feed but not because my son wants him to. Will he ever walk with out the feed?

mskaren":1rf52l6l said:
My son has a show calf that does not want to walk. He is very gentle but very stubborn. We have to carry a bucket of feed with us when we try to walk him. He walks in hopes of eating the feed but not because my son wants him to. Will he ever walk with out the feed?

Sure he will. Teaching a calf to lead is not any different than teaching a foal to lead. I'm not sure I would use a grain bucket, though. Depending on the age of your son, and the nature of the calf - it could be a train wreck waiting to happen. It's been a long time since I halter-broke a calf, so if you would post this question on the show boards, you would undoubtedly get a ton of useful information to help you and your son with this calf. :)

Brute 23":fcyqy2jn said:
Tie the calf up all day where it is hot... but don't let it die. ;-)

Then go and drag its butt to a water trough.

Repeat as necessary. ;-)

:roll:

Brute 23":1k7h6opc said:
msscamp":1k7h6opc said:
Brute 23":1k7h6opc said:
Tie the calf up all day where it is hot... but don't let it die. ;-)

Repeat as necessary. ;-)

:roll:

Speak your mind... this is not NYC. :D

Are you one of those anti-rope on cattle people?

Not at all. But I'm not one of those force my will on an animal people when there are better ways to accomplish the same thing, either.

Thanks, I will look for the show boards. Show cattle are raised quite differently than cattle in a pasture. No, disaster with the feed bucket idea yet. My son is 15 and he leads his steer and I walk in front with the feed.
The water would be the same as the feed but worse because he would be deprived of something much needed. I don't withhold feed to get him to walk for the feed . The calf weighs about 800 lbs now,you can't drag him anywhere.

mskaren":8msjc7mq said:
Thanks, I will look for the show boards. Show cattle are raised quite differently than cattle in a pasture. No, disaster with the feed bucket idea yet. My son is 15 and he leads his steer and I walk in front with the feed.
The water would be the same as the feed but worse because he would be deprived of something much needed. I don't withhold feed to get him to walk for the feed . The calf weighs about 800 lbs now,you can't drag him anywhere.

:D

I am sure some one on the show board can offer up some friendly suggestions.

mskaren":1hkcckqa said:

There are quite a few ways to make a steer walk. My 1200 lbs steer wouldnt walk for nothing.
1. Dont do the whole tie up and make him thirsty, because he may very well pull you to the water trough, instead of you walking him. I would rather have a steer that doesnt walk, then one that pulls me around, because at Fairs and shows thats not good and the judge takes that into account.
2. Dont use food a lure, he will depend on that food and we you go to show him he will not walk because there is no food in front of him. No food or treats!
3. Buy a piece of rope that will tie from one side of his halter, wrap it around him butt and have someone walk him and another pull on the rope and walk forward. (this method didnt work on my steer, may for yours though.)
4. Use a truck, ATV or tractor. Have someone driving and someone leading. A third person is optionally but i recommend it, just in case something goes wrong. Tie him to the bumper make sure he has 4ft of rope between him and the bumper ( or he'll play head butt the bumper the whole time) Start he car and go SLOW do not go fast. Start at a walking pace and stay there. (my dad went from slow o fast to slow my steer stepped over the rope, my dad sped up and my steer nearly fell down and crashed into our teuck. This method holds risks so be careful.) He will drag his feet and pull back wards let him. After he starts walking for 10 min take him off the truck and continue walking him. If he stops the minute you take him off, tie him back on the truck. (This worked with my steer, he walked for me beautifully afterwards.)
5. Oh and if he is a show steer start useing show stick on him now and dont wait a week before fair to do it.(if you already nows this then dont worry about number 5)
6. if none of the above work, but an all chain halter and walk him with that, that will definitely get him up and moving. Put it on and jerk the halter upward! not downward, upward gets their attention. On rope halters you jerk downward.
7. Keep me updated and see if any help you. Good Luck!!!!

Daisy452":1c8lv2p1 said:
mskaren":1c8lv2p1 said:

4. Use a truck, ATV or tractor. Have someone driving and someone leading. A third person is optionally but i recommend it, just in case something goes wrong. Tie him to the bumper make sure he has 4ft of rope between him and the bumper ( or he'll play head butt the bumper the whole time) Start he car and go SLOW do not go fast. Start at a walking pace and stay there. (my dad went from slow o fast to slow my steer stepped over the rope, my dad sped up and my steer nearly fell down and crashed into our teuck. This method holds risks so be careful.) He will drag his feet and pull back wards let him. After he starts walking for 10 min take him off the truck and continue walking him. If he stops the minute you take him off, tie him back on the truck. (This worked with my steer, he walked for me beautifully afterwards.)

Another train wreck waiting to happen.

Brute 23":dw2h4zis said:
msscamp... you are like a politician. You point out what every one else is doing wrong but don't have a better way to do it yourself. :lol:

Bite me! I don't see you offering any usable suggestions. What am I supposed to suggest when the calves weigh 800 and 1200 lbs? Either weight is big enough to cause some serious physical harm to the handler, both are far beyond the usual halter breaking methods, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go along with or suggest something that can get the calf or handler hurt. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and give them the do all/be all solution to their problem?

You would be surprised how manny show steers are trained to halter behind a skid steer around here. I know I was, seems to be the norm.

msscamp":1ivwb5i0 said:
Brute 23":1ivwb5i0 said:
msscamp... you are like a politician. You point out what every one else is doing wrong but don't have a better way to do it yourself. :lol:

Bite me! I don't see you offering any usable suggestions. What am I supposed to suggest when the calves weigh 800 and 1200 lbs? Either weight is big enough to cause some serious physical harm to the handler, both are far beyond the usual halter breaking methods, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go along with or suggest something that can get the calf or handler hurt. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and give them the do all/be all solution to their problem?

:lol: I have already offered my method. The water thing is well used around here. I just didn't make it up to entertain yall. ;-) TO be honest... most of the people who show around here dont consider pulling the animal with a vehicle a good method to train... and I would agree. BUT I am sure there is more than one way to skin that cat.

We train colts with 800#-1200# steers. :roll:

Tie the calf up all day where it is hot... but don't let it die.

Repeat as necessary.

Not to start a fuss or anything up here but just a quick question. Tieing the steer to a fence all day then draging it to water would be a postitive reaction to being lead. But sometimes once a steer already knows a routine they become pushy and eager to make their own head way. How do you prevent them from running you over?

mskaren":39ic6kc7 said:

My friend had the same problem. Her holstein calf wouldnt walk so she held her hand above his head holding marshmellows. One easier way ive found to break my calves is if they dont want to go forward I make them go backwards.

msscamp":kz7pc3pv said:
Brute 23":kz7pc3pv said:

Well what are show kids who show 1200 lbs steer supposed to do when we buy the calves at a weight and they dont want to walk? Yes methods are risking,by walking a steer behnd a truck, but a steer is risky to begin with. Just like bull riders, they chose their profession because thats what they want to do.

Latest posts