Training Hair on Show Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

splinter ridge farm

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions of products that can be used on hair to assist with holding hair in groomed position to assist with training?...i.e.gels, home recipes, tonics :???: . We have a show in 21 days and the steers hair is less than desirable :cry2: . I have been rinsing, combing and blow drying. The hair looks acceptable when moist, but when it dries it falls. Our show is a dry show, so it is to our advantage to get hair trained. Any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :tiphat:

Go to sullivanSupply.com. There are all kinds of good things that would be great to try. For training real hard to hold coats we use a product called set. Another good product is show foam, spray on lightly blow it in real good.

http://www.sullivansupply.com/Texas/det ... x?ID=11840

http://www.sullivansupply.com/Texas/detail.aspx?ID=9519
We use the white foam, even on black animals.

If you could post a current picture it would help. :)

nice link
http://www.betteranimalsshowseries.com/ ... e_pros.php

Try using shaving cream, do not use the gel or types with menthol or any thing like that.
Rinse and blow the calf out, then take and work the shaving cream in with a comb the direction you want the hair to go, using a blower on low as you do this gently blowing the hair as you comb. Do this in the evening and leave in over night and rinse it out in the morning. Repeat this everyday and you should see risults in about a week.

definetly use shaving cream its cheap u can use the good stuff at shows. sullivan makes a good conditioner its really good and makes the hair healthier. i also use show sheen. all this works well.

Okay so the conditioner and vinegar, does that effect the hair length? I have one heifer, shes a 1.5 year old angus. She has the worst hair i have ever seen, but she's an excellent heifer. I've tried Linament, Kleen Sheen, I rinse her off ever day, Revive, you name it, Sullivan's has made a lot of money off of me haha. Anyways, her hair is EXTREMELY short, but it also wont pop the little bit she has, so will the remedy hinder growing in any way? I ask because her hair really cant afford to be any shorter, haha. I mean when you can see all of her structures with DRY hair, forget about rinsing her.

KaitlinLego":1h5o02sx said:
Okay so the conditioner and vinegar, does that effect the hair length? I have one heifer, shes a 1.5 year old angus. She has the worst hair i have ever seen, but she's an excellent heifer. I've tried Linament, Kleen Sheen, I rinse her off ever day, Revive, you name it, Sullivan's has made a lot of money off of me haha. Anyways, her hair is EXTREMELY short, but it also wont pop the little bit she has, so will the remedy hinder growing in any way? I ask because her hair really cant afford to be any shorter, haha. I mean when you can see all of her structures with DRY hair, forget about rinsing her.

Your in Texas. Unless you have a cooler your not gonna see any major growth.

Latest posts