Training Cattle On Electric

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
First day training my cattle on electric. Glad I saw what I saw, took the advice and didnt just let them out in the back 40 acres without knowing what electricity is. All of my cows did fine, some dumber then others. Tiger stripe and herefords saw what was going on and werent having anything to do with it. Just grazed up and down the wire without touching it, they let the brangus do the testing. My bull on the other hand, got shocked on the nose and completely freaked out. Running back and forth, doing circles, disappeared in a ravine then came charging back out. This went on for about 30 minutes. Wouldnt come into feed with the other cows. I thought he was going to bust through the fence. He kept staring at me. Backed up into another wire and flipped out even more. Finally calmed down when I went into the middle of the pasture and dumped a bucket of cubes in the "safe" zone. The only spot I ran wire was around my yard and a spot to put space so they cant crowd a pasture with some little heifers in it. Anything else I should do to train them on electric fence and how long should I train them before letting them out into unknown pasture with electric fence. I tied neon green plastic streamers on it and its running at 7000 volts.

I gotta holding pen for new arrivals. Accross one corner, I have a few feet of hot wire, just in case they have never seen any.

Once they figured it out they should be good. I would turn em out in the morning to give em plenty of time to walk the boundary in daylight.

SteppedInIt":3peh3g14 said:
Once they figured it out they should be good. I would turn em out in the morning to give em plenty of time to walk the boundary in daylight.
Pretty well sums it up. Once "trained" they never forget.

Latest posts