Trailer Wash

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
As a new owner of an aluminum trailer (always had steel before) I'm getting mixed information on washing/products.
How do those of you who wash them yourselves do it and with what soap/products?

I park mine on a hill next to the water hydrant at my house and use the same wash as recommend to use on aluminum sided houses. Walmart has it in stock. It will slick it off like new and even clean the rubber part. If nothing else simple green or purple power, but no acid or bleach.

Soaking with a sprinkler for ~30 mins. Foam on dawn dish soap. Power wash out. Come back and spray on Synergize disinfectant, and rinse, if you want it spotless.
But really the way to keep it clean is to wash it as often as you use it, even if you just rinse it out.

It's actual according to the type aluminum and the brand. Several of b them it will say no acid. Some I use an acid wash. Ask your dealer or if new it should have instructions with it.
Did not know that. I asked the dealer and they said citrus acid. BUT they really don't seem too familiar with the Wilsons and their care. Basically they recommend taking it to a semi truck wash. We don't intend to do that every time it needs a wash. We care for our own stuff plus there's not a wash a reasonable distance away. We did some reading online that said acid wash will etc aluminum. I believe the dealer said there's an owners manual somewhere on the trailer. Will look and see if it's where I think it may be. Thanks for the help!
I park mine on a hill next to the water hydrant at my house and use the same wash as recommend to use on aluminum sided houses. Walmart has it in stock. It will slick it off like new and even clean the rubber part. If nothing else simple green or purple power, but no acid or bleach.
Didn't even know there was aluminum siding wash. Will look into that. We were discussing simple green already but wasn't sure what it would do.
Thanks for the help!
Soaking with a sprinkler for ~30 mins. Foam on dawn dish soap. Power wash out. Come back and spray on Synergize disinfectant, and rinse, if you want it spotless.
But really the way to keep it clean is to wash it as often as you use it, even if you just rinse it out.
Will look into those products. We were already talking about a foamer and the pressure washer as a possible option. Thanks for the help!

My new Wilson came with an instruction manual in a little plastic box up under the neck of the trailer. Without going out and looking at it I'm pretty sure they don't recommend acid.
My Wilson is 20 year old and it's in large print not to use acid wash. Not sure what it does other than maybe discolor it.

I suspect they don't want you to use acid since there are a lot of nooks and crannies on a trailer that you may not be able to get it totally washed out of. Most strong acids will dissolve aluminum.

Acid works amazingly well on wheels and tanks and stuff. Most parts stores carry it, usually called Aluminum Brightener or something of that nature. If you have a set of old wheels that have been neglected, there's nothing better out there.

My new Wilson came with an instruction manual in a little plastic box up under the neck of the trailer. Without going out and looking at it I'm pretty sure they don't recommend acid.
Found it! Hadn't opened that box yet.
My Wilson is 20 year old and it's in large print not to use acid wash. Not sure what it does other than maybe discolor it.
It etches the aluminum I believe is what I keep reading. Which is why I've been questioning the citrus acid that the dealer said to use.
I'm going to have to look over all the stickers again. Didn't see that one anywhere.

Found it! Hadn't opened that box yet.

It etches the aluminum I believe is what I keep reading. Which is why I've been questioning the citrus acid that the dealer said to use.

I'm going to have to look over all the stickers again. Didn't see that one anywhere.

Just FYI for anyone, Purple Power and Simple Green are known to discolor/stain aluminum finishes. Most heavy duty degreasers will

Latest posts