Trailer/truck floor beds

Help Support CattleToday:

White oak is superior, but the 75 year old buildings made from the red, black and post oaks on this place seem to have held up well. Harder then a harlots heart, but still solid.

dun

dun":13i4ckfx said:
White oak is superior, but the 75 year old buildings made from the red, black and post oaks on this place seem to have held up well. Harder then a harlots heart, but still solid.

dun

Dun, thats like an old house that I owned for a few years, I had to drill a small hole before I could drive a nail in that wood.

I will coat which ever one I use with used motor oil.
Always heard that treating wood with motor or diesel oil will deteriorate wood faster than if left alone.

It will keep the water and insects from penetrating for a short while but the benzene and other chemicals will soften the cellulose fibers.

We used some post oak posts one year and my dad poured motor oil on the tops. About 2-3 years later the tops were rotten but the rest was fine for a few more years.

C HOLLAND":9de0aimz said:
dun":9de0aimz said:

dun

Dun, thats like an old house that I owned for a few years, I had to drill a small hole before I could drive a nail in that wood.

Prolly "Heart" pine.

I had a treated lumber vs. rough oak discussion with a longtime sawmill guy not long ago.. At the time, I was trying to figure out what to use for a deck.. He sells all kind of lumber and can get you basically anything you want and make money on it, so I asked him what he thought about treated pine.. He said "Well, I'll tell ya, I love those new treated pine wagon beds. They keep me in business." I said, "So, a lot of people are buying pine wagon beds from you?" and he said "No, they're having to replace the pine that come on new wagons these days."

Plus, rough oak is WAY cheaper than treated pine.

o.k., Here' s nity grity details:

There are three types of oak; red, white, and live.

I will excllude live oak, as it's not readily available.

The red oak "group" consists of trees such as northern red oak, water oak, black oak, willow oak, southern red oak, and a few others.

The white oak group includes white oak, swamp oak, post oak, bur oak and a few others.

Both white and red oak have large pores in the wood, however, white oak's pores are filled with a chemical called tyslosis - which makes the wood impervious to water. This is why whiskey barrels, old war ships, and other items were made of white oak, not red. Red oak's pores remain open and will soak up water if a piece is stood up in water (kind of like a straw does).

It all boils down to white oak being much better lasting outdoors. Red oak will not last, plain and simple. Before I'd buy any oak, I'd ask and see what type it is. Red oak has it's uses; I use it all the time with woodworking, but it is not the same as white :)

By the way, "rough" will not help either one. You can plane white own down to being a beautiful board, and it will still last outdoors. The rough vs. surfaced board is an old wives tale. Rough is cheaper, though!

cypressfarms":3entus0q said:
o.k., Here' s nity grity details:

There are three types of oak; red, white, and live.

I will excllude live oak, as it's not readily available.

The red oak "group" consists of trees such as northern red oak, water oak, black oak, willow oak, southern red oak, and a few others.

The white oak group includes white oak, swamp oak, post oak, bur oak and a few others.

Both white and red oak have large pores in the wood, however, white oak's pores are filled with a chemical called tyslosis - which makes the wood impervious to water. This is why whiskey barrels, old war ships, and other items were made of white oak, not red. Red oak's pores remain open and will soak up water if a piece is stood up in water (kind of like a straw does).

It all boils down to white oak being much better lasting outdoors. Red oak will not last, plain and simple. Before I'd buy any oak, I'd ask and see what type it is. Red oak has it's uses; I use it all the time with woodworking, but it is not the same as white :)

By the way, "rough" will not help either one. You can plane white own down to being a beautiful board, and it will still last outdoors. The rough vs. surfaced board is an old wives tale. Rough is cheaper, though!

Thanks cypressfarms,
I was thinking that it was red oak that was the best.
I have alot of red oak and white oak trees, I will now cut a few white oaks and have them sawed into trailer deck boards.

Since I have the option of having them sawn to what ever size I choose would it be best to cut them 1 1/2 or 2 inch thick?
I don't need them to be any heavier then what is needed.

Yes White Oak is the stuff to use. So much stronger then Pine.
Never use Red Oak where you need strength or rot resistence.

I have sawed a lot of White Oak at my mill. Lots of difference in quality. Best is logs [butt cuts] from large mature trees. Stay away from large knots, they might fall out, Sap wood is not much good. Use as wide of planks as possible and go with 2" rough the cost will be the same as 1 1/2 in planed. and less slippery.

If the lumber is dry leave 1/8 inch space between boards. Using green planks on a stock trailer is a good idea. Adding water to dry wood does the same thing as freezing water, something has to give.

mnmt

Latest posts