Trailer tires want opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Hey all I need new tires for my flatbed gooseneck trailer. Are there any brands you like better than others the size is ST235-80-16. I had also wondered if it would be okay to use 235-85-16 truck tires.

It's an off brand, and made in china, but I like a wanlee trailer tire. It comes in the size you want.

gertman":9q2d95ak said:
Hey all I need new tires for my flatbed gooseneck trailer. Are there any brands you like better than others the size is ST235-80-16. I had also wondered if it would be okay to use 235-85-16 truck tires.
I have been using Power King trailer tires lately because I can buy them for around $125 a piece mounted. If you use truck tires they just need to be load rated at least E and they will be more expensive.

I heard it's well worth getting 14 ply rated tires for the trailer, yes, they do cost more, but they will outlast E rated tires by far. My trailer came with some GARBAGE radial trailer tires, I've had about 3 flats in EACH tire and I've only had them 2 years, they just really hold on to the gravel and it'll just work it's way into them in no time.
Truck tires are OK too as long as they have the rating needed. I need new tires on both my truck and trailer, I'm looking at about a $1400 bill

Nesikep":3kwbyujh said:
I heard it's well worth getting 14 ply rated tires for the trailer, yes, they do cost more, but they will outlast E rated tires by far. My trailer came with some GARBAGE radial trailer tires, I've had about 3 flats in EACH tire and I've only had them 2 years, they just really hold on to the gravel and it'll just work it's way into them in no time.
Truck tires are OK too as long as they have the rating needed. I need new tires on both my truck and trailer, I'm looking at about a $1400 bill

Agree with Nesi. If you use and depend on your trailer, get the "best" tires you can for it. You don't want to be dealing with flats/blowouts out on the road with a load on.

"Best" tires usually means 14 ply trailer tires. The Hankooks from my co-op are pretty decent.

E pickup tires don't seem to hold up on a trailer, and many times they are too wide and rub the frame to boot.

My :2cents:

Just my opinion, I think a 14 ply trailer tire is not only cheaper than a truck tire, but better suited for the job.

14 ply would be load range G. We had good luck with hankook tires on our old chevy, but they were a 7.5x16, not 235/85/16, They are narrower, and would fit on the trailer nicely, but they are getting rare, and thus expensive... bonus with them is most tire shops will give you $50 for good used casings.

John SD, you're right, some trailers have very little clearance... on mine I had to turn all the suspension bolts around so the nuts faced inside or my tires would rub. I added a spacer on one set so that I could run cable chains if I needed to

Load range G are available in both bias and radial, domestic and import. The reason the chains may not fit is due to back spacing of rims sold on trailer when you bought it. This is worth checking. Typically a trailer sold with Bias tires and replaced with radials is not good. "Typically" the rims used for bias tires have less back spacing than the radial tire. Alot of times you throw on radials on a trailer that had Bias from factory, the duals will rub at full load /air pressure capacity and you will ...blow tires out or break studs. That said, if you dont run alot of miles, learn to read the DOT codes on the tires and buy used. Part of the code required on tires is the date of MFG

Latest posts